yamaha 704 shifter question

jigstrike

Reaction score
I recently had to pull my Yamaha 704 dual binnacle shifter to access the bolts that hold the starboard lever on. I got the lever replaced, but now the forward-reverse on both motors is very stiff. When I disconnect the shifter linkage at the motors, the shifter is
smooth as silk. The boat is a 30' Marlin with 2012 Yamaha 250's.
Anyone have any ideas??
Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Couple of questions. Did you disconnect both motors at the binnacle end and then work on the binnacle or just the affected motor? Did you reposition cables by chance without noticing?
One thing you can do is connect each motor independently and see if you can determine if one of the cable sets are the issue. I would initially think you wouldn't need to adjust the cable throw length, but maybe you do....

jigstrike

Reaction score
I disconnected each motor, and both shift freely. The throttle cables are working correctly, but both f/r are very tight. I did not remove the cables, I just unbolted the binnacle mounts, and lifted the shifter assembly up to access the bolts that hold on the arms
.thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
"I disconnected each motor, and both shift freely."
The shifter moves freely when disconnected from motors? How about motors shift by hand at the motors?

Are you in water? did you try with motor running?
If not, maybe spin prop and try to shift.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
ill give it a try
thanks
There is a flathead tension adjustment should be accessible with the cover on. Look for a hole in the plastic cover on the bottom or aft side between the throttle handles. Might need to back it off a touch, mine was very stiff backed off the adjustment, works great.

jigstrike

Reaction score
Got home from work, hooked up the hose, fired it up and it shifts fine! I guess I had never tried to shift her when she wasn't running.
Thanks All!!

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Got home from work, hooked up the hose, fired it up and it shifts fine! I guess I had never tried to shift her when she wasn't running.
Thanks All!!

Sometimes the clutch dog is just in the wrong spot and there has to be some movement.
I, too, have felt the panic of a motor not able to shift only to find that turning the prop would help it shift.