Yamaha Dual 704 Replacement Advice Needed

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
It's time to replace the cables and controls. Anyone have any tricks or tips on replacing the yamaha 704 dual controls? I've searched the interweb and can't find any videos. From what I can see, it looks pretty straightforward but I'd like to know if there are any common snags anyone else has run into. Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
Although it looks simple, you can easily get into a pickle. As you dissemble the unit, take a lot of photos because there are multiple ways that the units can be configured and usually only one is correct. Note that the two sides are optioned differently too since they need to operate in reverse of each other.

If you can pull out the old control with the cables attached, I would do that so that you can match the options on the new unit. (Once you pull the side cover, parts can pop out of the cable keepers. . keep an eye on those plastic cable keepers and note where and what order they were in.) All that said, how old and in what shape is the old control. They kind of last a long time.

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Thank you! I'll take all that into consideration The old one is 30 years old and has definitely seen better days. I could probably get away with a couple more years but the cables have to be changed so i figured while I have the controls out, I'd swap them out too.

seasick

Reaction score
A new control will be expensive( about $700) . There are knock off versions available but I probably would stay away from those 'clones'. Perhaps someone on this forun has input.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You might as well do the cables too. You are most of the way there! Cables are easy - the binnacle is the more difficult part. Check GG for those that have done it.

Spend the extra and buy a OEM binnacle. Aftermarket may be ok but it's a PITA to take things apart and even to adjust.

Cable lengths are marked on one end of the cables. Luck of the draw. You may not know length until you pull the end out. Don't change length if you order the wrong ones - send back. Also built a cable puller. Handy to have.

Last edited:

SeaVee

Reaction score
I just repowered and have complete rigging from a 26 GW Express ( twin 2001 HPDI’s) including Dual Binnacle. Boat was dry stored its whole life and had only 880 hrs on the entire rig. Let me know if you are interested in anything

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Got the new cables in fairly easily and determined that after some cleaning and lubrication, the old controls are functioning just fine. I am, however, having some adjustment issues. I'm not getting much power in reverse.

seasick

Reaction score
It could be an adjustment or you used the wrong hole to reconnect the cable at the helm.
Are you saying that not getting much power really means that you can't rev as high as you did earlier before the cable swap?
To check the throttle movement, pull the cowling and with the help of another person, press the shift override button on the control and with the button held in, move the throttle level and watch the movement at the motor. You either didn't adjust the cable correctly, messed up a bushing at the control, or didn't reattach the cable correctly at the motor.
Did you follow the adjustment instructions for installing new cables.
If both motors have the same issue, I assume you installed or adjusted the cable incorrectly

seasick

Reaction score
I suspect that the throttle cable at the motor is not adjusted correctly. Either that or the control box was reassembled incorrectly.
If you look at the throttle linkage on the motor, with the motor not running and the shift override pressed in, move the throttle forward all the way. Now look/feel where the throttle level is at the motor and note how far the throttle went. Now repeat but move the throttle into reverse all the way and see if the throttle moved as far as it did in forward. If not, you need to find out why. On some controls ( not sure about the 704) there is an adjustment for how far (what angle) the lever can go. Did you pay with any of the adjustments on the 704?
If you didn't then the cable needs to be adjusted. The shift mat be wrong also. The neutral/ no throttle position on the 704 may have changed. You need to adjust the shift cable first and make sure that neutral position on the engine shift level is the same place that the shift ends up when in neutral when in the detent.
After adjusting the shift, you need to place the throttle in neutral at the helm and adjust the control cable end at the motor so that the motor throttle cam is also in full closed position. There are instructions in the service manual.

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
I didn't mess with the controls at all, replaced everything as it was before. I'm fairly confident that there needs to be adjustments made at the motor. Thanks for the advice!

seasick

Reaction score
I didn't mess with the controls at all, replaced everything as it was before. I'm fairly confident that there needs to be adjustments made at the motor. Thanks for the advice!
That's good. Yup take a look at the motor