Yamaha electric tilt help

Tom H

Reaction score
I have a 2000 model 40hp yamaha 2 stroke on a tender, obviously not the motor off my Grady. This may not qualify for a question on this site but I thought with such a large knowledge base on outboards here, correct advise will be easy to find, and the information should also qualify for the motors we use on our Gradys
The motor which I've just bought was neglected from lack of use to the point where the steering shaft was siesed on the motor. I heated the area behind the motor with a head gun and pumped heaps of new grease into it top and bottom, as advised by local mechanic, to melt and remove the old gummed up grease. This didn't though get the motor turning till I had to take to the steering arm with a fibre hammer (with the steering rod removed). It finally freed up and after a few tubes of freshgrease works well.
The problem: before I did this the electric trim worked OK. After the heating and hammering it was initially working but with a different rattling type sound, and then after a couple of runs in the boat it just stopped altogeather. The solinoid on the LH side of the engine clicks when pushing up on either control and it kinda makes an attempt to go down (drops an inch or so).
With the realease screw undone the motor pulls up but with a bit of effort, free right at the bottom but then gets a little stiffer, it has no problem dropping down.
Pump etc looks just like a smaller version of whats on my 225's
Possible problems?
Whats the process of elimination?
what parts are reconditionable or throw away?
Any tricks to removing anything I'll need to get looked at?
Reason I don't simply take it to a dealer is I'm a little isolated living on an Island. Help appreciated

seasick

Reaction score
Simple things first:
Check the fluid level and bleed the system.
You said you heard the click of the solenoid but didn't mention if you heard the pump spinning. If not, you might have a bad solenoid, connection or pump.
The fact that the tilt moves at all is a good sign. At least the rams aren't seized.
I don't think the hammering had anything to do with the tilt issue. The heat probably didn't either unless you managed to boil some of the tilt fluid. In that case you probably have air bubbles in the system

Tom H

Reaction score
Thanks Seasick appreciate the advice
When I press the up it just clicks at the solinoid and the motor wont budge, when I press the down it just drops a few digrees and sounds like its really labouring as if the battery were flat (the engine winds over and starts no problem). I did try pressing the up and down when I had the release screw undone which I pressume (may be wrong) would let the motor free spin with no resistance, the down laboured and basically nothing for up.
The boats on a poly float with the motor hanging out over the water, I'll pull it up onto the dry on the weekend so I can get around it.
You suggested check the cable nuts at the solinoid, they felt firm the other day wrigling the cables but I didn't put a wrench on them..
Can the solinoid be by passed by connecting two terminals to determine if it is the motor?
Where do you check the fluid level? Though I think it's not that?
Can the pump and motor be unbolted and removed as a single item?
Can the motor come off on its own to disassemble?
Any tricks? special seals or gaskets need to be bought?
By the lack of replies there obviously aren't really any inherint problems with the tilts on Yamahas

seasick

Reaction score
Tom H said:
Thanks Seasick appreciate the advice
When I press the up it just clicks at the solinoid and the motor wont budge, when I press the down it just drops a few digrees and sounds like its really labouring as if the battery were flat (the engine winds over and starts no problem). I did try pressing the up and down when I had the release screw undone which I pressume (may be wrong) would let the motor free spin with no resistance, the down laboured and basically nothing for up.
The boats on a poly float with the motor hanging out over the water, I'll pull it up onto the dry on the weekend so I can get around it.
You suggested check the cable nuts at the solinoid, they felt firm the other day wrigling the cables but I didn't put a wrench on them..
Can the solinoid be by passed by connecting two terminals to determine if it is the motor?
Yes but you may have to undo the cables o do so.
Where do you check the fluid level? Though I think it's not that?
There is a plug (filler) on the side of the pump housing
Can the pump and motor be unbolted and removed as a single item?
I don't think so or at least I wouldn't.
Can the motor come off on its own to disassemble?
The motor can be removed first
Any tricks? special seals or gaskets need to be bought?
Maybe, it depends on what you find
By the lack of replies there obviously aren't really any inherint problems with the tilts on Yamahas
Not really. The armarure of the motor could be gummed up as could the pump itself. Try the fluid first

Here is a link to a parts diagram
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html
I don't know if this is your model but the trim systems are the same