yamaha F-150 4 st.

fishon

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 05 parker 2120 w/ a 150 4 st. While being checked out on the computer, the motor threw a code indicating that the nylon crankshaft counter balance gear needs replacing.According to the tech that you will hear a squeaking at idle coming from the power head due to this gear.My understanding is that a failure of this gear may cause the motor to sieze.The tech stated that yamaha is aware of the problem and will cover repair and or replacment,if under warrenty.If outside the warrenty period , its on you. This is what I do not understand,if yamaha knows of the problem why is there not a recall and resolving the issue whether the motor is with in the warrenty period or not.I know others have had problems with this nylon gear on classic parker.com , but my post has had no replys.That is why I am posting here , did I get some misinformation ? PLEASE HELP.

fishon

Reaction score
F-150 counter balance gear

Thanks for the reply.Any one with the 150 4st. needs to check out the posts on yamaha parts web site.We are going to have insist on yamaha adressing this issue.Yamaha seems to be very aware of the issue and is in denile.A very real problem,and no recall.THIS REALLY CALLS INTO QUESTION THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE.Experiances range from removal and replacement to total lock up and power head replacement on motors with 15 hours to 800 hours.Pray you are still with in the warrenty period when this happens to your motor.Any idea on how to put the screws to yamaha on this issue(consumer reports,legal action.)Thanks again.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yamaha F150's

Thats interesting. I have been noticing a squeak at idle on my F150's. I think I'll look into this a little more. Mine are still under warranty.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
F150's

I check the site as well and didn't find many posts. I searched for:
counter balance, counterbalance and squeaking.

Only found one thread and it wasn't that convincing. I still plan to talk to my Yamaha service guys later this week.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
that tech is a tard, threw a code, lol

look at SIM's site on thehulltruth, hotspot did a write up on how to replace

fishon

Reaction score
F-150 4 st.

some of the posts I found were on yamahaoutboardparts.com (page 22 , sept.08)I will try and attach that post when I figure out how. Jimmar who posts on this site and classic parker had problems.There are two pages of posts on yamahaoutboardparts.According to the posts when the nylon gear breaks apart the pieses find their way into the crank case where they clog the oil pump causing the motor to over heat.

fishon

Reaction score
F-150 4st.

I am sorry, page 23 sept 10 , 08. I not trying to sling mud, just want to figure out whats going on prior to handing over a few grand for one of these motors.

fishon

Reaction score
F-150 4 st.

just-in-time,thanks for the info.You seen like the right one to clear this up.Is this drive shaft bushing and the crank shaft counter balance gear one in the same? If so how did the pieses get into the crank case and clog the screen on the oil pump? Not trying to be a smart ass , just trying to understand if we are talking about the same thing.The squeaking I understand,but according to some of the posts I have seen ,some of these guys are dealing with power head replacements. It does not seem that a drive shaft bushing locacted just above but not part of the water housing would cause such a failure. This took me a long time to type,lets talk E-mail me your phone # mattfisto@yahoo.com.

fishon

Reaction score
F-150 4st.

Just updating on the F-150 situation.Yamaha has agreed to remove and replace the balancer assy. the gears within this assy. are plastic gears , which from time to time fail . The small pieses work their way into the crankcase and clog the screen on the oil pump causing oil starvation. Just had a friends F-150 with less than 50 hours on it sieze up due to this. This has absolutly nothing to do with the drive shaft bushing as mentioned in a earlier post.This may not happen often,but may happen more than yamaha cares to admit.I have spoken to four different yamaha techs here in So.Cal,and all are aware of this problem.Easy fix, order a new balancer assy.and have it installed.The new part has gears made of a different material other than plastic.I am just posting this so those of who have F-150s can be aware if a problem does arise. JUST-IN-TIME , tried calling several times,left messages with your answering service.Still waiting to here from you.

fishon

Reaction score
F-150 4st.

I will try and find out the production dates and or dates when yamaha may have changed material specs for the balancer assy.gears.On a brighter note,individuals who have not had to contend with this issue are very happy with their F-150s,that is why I am going ahead with the purchase unless something else gets in the way.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't know if you guys found it yet, but it was covered by Andy over at THT SIM some time ago.

I recall him sayng he only saw it on spanking new motors - the thread going that as soon as a new motor was started the noise was obvious and the nylon gear train had to be replaced.

The balance shaft is specific to the in line 4 cylinder F150 not the V6 Fs, be sure you guys with F150s don't ignore or wait on any unusual noises - before the warranty runs out. This one may be expensive.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
no problem.

As a matter of fact, the nylon gear train on the F150s is the only complaint I recall reading, over at THT.

fishon

Reaction score
F-150 4st.

Found the same to be true on Yamahaoutboardparts.com, a good resourse for yamaha outboard information.