Yamaha F150 Exhaust Manifold Failure

JeffPicc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 2005 GW208 with Yamaha F150 that just suffered a catastrophic failure. Severe corrosion in manifold and engine block. This motor had been flushed after each use. The failure occurred with1340 hours on the engine. I had 15 seasons of excellent performance until this issue occurred. I am not sure how prevalent the issue is - but I am incredibly disappointed. I just wanted to let the community know. Engine had been running well and suddenly died. Motor ran perfectly with cowl off, and would not run at all with cowl on. The exhaust fumes choked its ability to breathe. It appears to me that the protective coating on the gas path surfaces failed.

Vlabruzzo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I'm pretty sure that was a common issue with them. I also thought 2005 wasn't involved. Maybe wrong though

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know how prevalent the exhaust issue was on F150s, I haven't heard a lot about them failing but obviously it has happened.
One point you made in your case is confusing to me.

You say the motor suffered catastrophic failure. That usually means that the motor is totally shot but then you state that it only runs with the cowling off. Are you saying it still runs?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
To the best of my knowledge the F150s have not had the exhaust corrosion issues. The V6s were the ones, F225 and F250s.

JeffPicc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I don't know how prevalent the exhaust issue was on F150s, I haven't heard a lot about them failing but obviously it has happened.
One point you made in your case is confusing to me.

You say the motor suffered catastrophic failure. That usually means that the motor is totally shot but then you state that it only runs with the cowling off. Are you saying it still runs?
Sorry for my conflicting statements. The engine, at the dock would only run with the cowl off. It was brought back to my mechanic who upon disassembly discovered severe corrosion on both the exhaust manifold and the engine block. The repair cost would approach the cost of a new engine. I was stunned to see such extensive corrosion on my F150. Prior to this incident, the motor had been terrific.

JeffPicc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
To the best of my knowledge the F150s have not had the exhaust corrosion issues. The V6s were the ones, F225 and F250s.
That's what I thought as well-until my engine failed. But I did get 15 seasons out of it.

JeffPicc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
What was the model year and what was the cause of the failure?
The F150 was a 2005 model, the failure was a result of extensive corrosion in exhaust path which resulted is exhaust leaking into cowl area depriving the engine from breathing clean air. The engine choked itself.