Yamaha F150

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Hi. Can anyone please advise in which year the logos on the cowling of a Yamaha F150 changed, to include the “propeller” icon? I recently viewed a GW180 with this engine, stated to be 2007, and it says “Yamaha” “Four Stroke” and includes the propeller icon as well, whereas research on the web seems to suggest that 2007 motors did not include the propeller icon, only wording. Photos attached to try and show what I’m talking about!
thanks in advance for any advice.
DC1440B2-A51D-499F-B505-42D353843346.jpegF2B85EBE-9A4E-4784-A897-7AF440D1BB2F.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This isn't a direct answer, but may be a better answer if the reason you're asking is to verify model year for a boat you're looking at. First, forget about the decals - decals can be changed... motor model years don't always coincide with boat model years... motors can be changed. Stickers are an unimportant factor here. Serial/model are all that really matters regarding motors.

Instead, ask for the boat HIN - the last two numbers tell you the year. And, quite honestly, with older boats and motors - one year or two up or down makes no difference. Care and maintenance history is the most important thing.

Reactions: TonyD

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My 05/06 F150 look like the one on the right.

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
This isn't a direct answer, but may be a better answer if the reason you're asking is to verify model year for a boat you're looking at. First, forget about the decals - decals can be changed... motor model years don't always coincide with boat model years... motors can be changed. Stickers are an unimportant factor here. Serial/model are all that really matters regarding motors.

Instead, ask for the boat HIN - the last two numbers tell you the year. And, quite honestly, with older boats and motors - one year or two up or down makes no difference. Care and maintenance history is the most important thing.
Thank you for the good advice. I actually just bought the boat - over here in the U.K. Grady White’s are quite rare. I’m super happy with it. The engine has all documentation and receipts and service records with it, and has done just 224hours. I’m pretty sure the cowling hasn’t been changed (still has some stickers on it that are consistent with it being as originally supplied.) Am just tryi mg to work out if I have a later or earlier model of this engine, as I’m not sure when they changed it - it seems to have been largely unchanged, save for a revision around 5 years ago. Any info gratefully received.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2004 Yamaha F225 and the logos look like the second/bottom picture that you included, that doesn't have the "propeller" looking logo. I just recently purchased my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer back in late September and when I did, the dealer I purchased the boat from said that Yamaha considers anything from May on until the end of the year as being the next model year. So, for example, my "2004" Yamaha F225 actually says 05/03 on the tag, which is definitely confusing and would make many people think it's still a 2003 model year outboard... but I guess it's actually considered a 2004. That could have something to do with the confusion of model years as well as the different logos between "different years".

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I've got a 2004 Yamaha F225 and the logos look like the second/bottom picture that you included, that doesn't have the "propeller" looking logo. I just recently purchased my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer back in late September and when I did, the dealer I purchased the boat from said that Yamaha considers anything from May on until the end of the year as being the next model year. So, for example, my "2004" Yamaha F225 actually says 05/03 on the tag, which is definitely confusing and would make many people think it's still a 2003 model year outboard... but I guess it's actually considered a 2004. That could have something to do with the confusion of model years as well as the different logos between "different years".
Ok - thank you. That’s interesting - my own motor is definitely 2007, but it also says “08” on the plate.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thank you for the good advice. I actually just bought the boat - over here in the U.K. Grady White’s are quite rare. I’m super happy with it. The engine has all documentation and receipts and service records with it, and has done just 224hours. I’m pretty sure the cowling hasn’t been changed (still has some stickers on it that are consistent with it being as originally supplied.) Am just tryi mg to work out if I have a later or earlier model of this engine, as I’m not sure when they changed it - it seems to have been largely unchanged, save for a revision around 5 years ago. Any info gratefully received.
Understood. But to re-explain, maybe in a better/more direct way, the most important thing for you, moving forward, will be to make sure you're ordering the correct parts (using model/serial number... although you don't always "need" to do that for many parts). Changes to motors happen, but you need to look at model and serial numbers to determine those changes. Model years don't indicate whether a change happened, or not - model and serial numbers do. Meaning, again, the model year is relatively useless.

TonyD

Reaction score
Ok - thank you. That’s interesting - my own motor is definitely 2007, but it also says “08” on the plate.
Go with exactly what Dennis has mentioned. Yamaha doesn't go by year and model, they go by manufacture year and that is on the serial number. There is no such thing as a "2007 Yamaha" motor.

Any parts or servicing you need for that motor, you will need to have that serial number handy. Don't go by your guess of what year model the motor might be. Any parts supply place will ask you first what the serial number is anyway.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How is it definitely a 2007 if it says "08" on the tag? That would mean it's either a 2008 if it was built before May, or a 2009 if it was built after May. As others have stated, if looking for parts, just give the date code, and having the serial number doesn't hurt either.