Yamaha F200 in line 4 on a 20' walkaround

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Does anyone have one of the new Yamaha F200 in line 4 outboards mounted on a new or old Gardy 20' walkaround?
I'd like to hear what you have to say about it, what kind of performance you get, any problems?
I'm considering this as a possible repower for my '87 Overnighter. If I can't repair my Suzuki DT225 I'd like something with similar performance.
Mike.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lt. Mike, Yes I have the F200 I4 on my 2006 Adventure. I had the F 150 and was offered too good a price from a buyer who wanted to go from 2 to 4 stroke so sold it replacing it with the F200. It is the perfect match. Don't have a lot of technical info, just better midrange torque and speed, up on plane quicker, a little more top end speed. Running a Yam SDS prop 141/4x 17 p. Maybe should have gone to a 15p as I get 5700 WOT, but do get good gas milage. Anyway that is my take on the F200 .I have had it for 18 months with just over 200 hrs. No issues and really don't expect any. This my fourth Yamaha outboard and believe them to be the best! Cheers, trapper.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This my fourth Yamaha outboard and believe them to be the best! Cheers, trapper
Thanks Trapper, looking into reviews I find most owners would agree with you. Yamaha has a great rep. I am definitely looking for better reliability which is why this motor has caught my eye.
One thing I've noticed it seems that most who switch to a F200 start with a 150. I'm starting with a 2 stroke Suzuki DT225 and have become used to that kind of performance.
I expect better mileage too but I'm hoping the F200 being new technology can deliver on the top end and cruise speed or at least come close to what the 225 did.
On my 204c the 225 would comfortably hit 45 mph with 4 on board. That is with a 14 1/4 x 20p prop (5200 rpm).
been doing a lot of comparison shopping.
The F200 is 489 lbs, pretty close to the Suzuki at 470 lbs. The 200 E-tec is 418 lbs while their 225 jumps to 524 lbs! (why so much?)
Mercury optimax 225 is at 505 lbs and is a repower option from Almars in Delaware. They have factory remanufactured 225s for $11,000. Might as well go with first time out new for that price.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lt. MIke, You won't get those numbers on a the New F200. With my 17 p prop I get 43 mph with my wife and I in the boat and fishing gear. You certainly can't run a 20 p prop with this motor on a 204. The F225 is a 6 cylinder as a apposed to the 4 cylinder in the F200, showing the weight difference. I think to stay with the numbers you are getting you should consider the F225 or the F250. Of course if you want to go 2 stroke the E- tech. Keep in mind these are heavy well built boats so do need the horses to get them up on plane and run efficiently as possible considering the price of fuel, especially here in B.C. Canada. Anyway enjoy the search and I do hope you find what works for you and your budget. Again just my 2 bits. Cheers, trapper

seasick

Reaction score
There is a significant weight difference with a 2013 or newer F200 and an older model as you already know. What may not be as obvious is that later model hulls in the 20 foot size have weight added towards the bow to 'compensate' for the heavier 4S motors. On older hulls, using an older 4s will cause the stern to sit lower in the water. It affects balance and trim.(and may result in the scuppers being below the water line
So on older hulls, the newer F200 is the way to go. On newer hulls, the boat will sit a bit higher with the new F200

Firenailer

Reaction score
I've got the 200 on my new 208 and I like it very much. It may be a bit slower coming out of the hole than my old V-6 150 2 stroke, but it has great midrange, better fuel mileage and a bit better top end at around 43MPH.

I'd recommend it. Starts instantly with no choking or smoking, settles right in and is much quieter than the older 2 strokes. Terrific Outboard.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Post by seasick » Nov Mon 17, 2014 3:27 pm
There is a significant weight difference with a 2013 or newer F200 and an older model as you already know. What may not be as obvious is that later model hulls in the 20 foot size have weight added towards the bow to 'compensate' for the heavier 4S motors. On older hulls, using an older 4s will cause the stern to sit lower in the water. It affects balance and trim.(and may result in the scuppers being below the water line
So on older hulls, the newer F200 is the way to go. On newer hulls, the boat will sit a bit higher with the new F200

The stern of my boat is already there with the big 225 2 stroke motor hanging there.
The F200 inline four is a lighter 4 stroke motor option and is only 19 lbs heavier than my present motor. I won't notice that 19 lbs.
With the 225, a full tank of fuel (60 gal) and 5 people on the back deck we had water coming back up the scuppers while drifting. I made a swap to bubble scuppers and that wasn't a problem anymore.
The increased fuel economy, quiet, and reliability is important to me but if I go with the F200 but I know a part of me will miss that 8 mph I'll loose on the top end.
Ya I know its a fishing boat, do I really need it to go faster? Do we really need a Grady? Yes! We want what we want for reasons we don't have to explain.
Why does a bass boat need to go 80 mph? (I even have to wonder about that one :roll: ) But, well it does, alrighty then, for those who have, enjoy!
I spent the summer cruising around 99% of the time at around 1500-2500 rpm and finished my day with that WOT blast back up the river from the inlet home. Just a couple of minutes but it put a grin on mine and my daughters face everytime. Been a hot rodder all my life, I'll probably have a little of that in me till I die.

ric2352

Reaction score
Have the F200XB on my 95 208......love it in all respects. Just did the first 100 hr. service so haven't had it long, but did those hours in the last 3 months. Ran the piss out of it with nothing but good results. Basically doubled my range over the old the 175 2 stroke due to great fuel economy. Plenty of power thru out range...hole shot alittle slower compared to the 2 stroke, but mid range to top end is good and quick to respond. Very quiet at idle and slow speeds, but noise level increases quite a bit at speed which kinda surprised me.....not as quiet as a V6. Here on the left coast , our water conditions are usually tough so hole shots and top speed are not important to me.......it's a rare day when you can do 45 mph on the ocean! It will achieve that speed....did it on a calm day in SF bay. 17 pitch Reliance prop.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This is looking good for the F200. I really don't care about hole shot either and my passengers wouldn't appreciate jumping on it either.
I can't remember one day this summer when the ocean was calm enough to run over 3,000 rpm. It was only when returning back in the river could we open it up.
I may need to come to terms with a lower top speed so that I can get a motor that lasts.
I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can't remember one day this summer when the ocean was calm enough to run over 3,000 rpm. It was only when returning back in the river could we open it up.

And that is exactly it. You can't go fast with the old style 204C hull anyway unless it is almost flat *assed calm. My old 204C had a 135 hp 2-stroke on it back in 1975. Turning a 15" prop, it would barely do 35 mph at 5400 rpm with a couple of people on board. But it cruised fine at 25-27 mph, which is where that hull likes to be. The boat started out up in New England, where I was rarely ever able to run on plane because of the waves and current rips. More horse power wouldn't have made much difference. When I moved the boat down to the Gulf of Mexico, I was able to cruise at 4200 rpm much of the time. But if the Gulf chop was over 2', that hull would pound and throw sheets of water just like up north. The only time that I felt that I lacked sufficient power was when we had 4 or more people on board or went Scuba diving. But I did that enough that I ended up blowing up 2 power heads and a lower unit. Moving up to a 200 hp Merc solved the power when loaded problem, but I paid for the difference at the gas pump. I still couldn't run faster than 26-27 mph without getting beat to death and soaked.

My point is that 200 hp is plenty for that hull. You'll miss the power of your big old 2-stroke during the few seconds that it takes to get on plane. But you'll really appreciate the smoothness and fuel economy of the 4-stroke engine and forget about needing all that extra hp in a hurry.

Biscayne208

Reaction score
I put over 200 hours on my old 208 with this motor. It is the perfect match. I had a 2 stroke yam 150 before. Top speed with hardtop and enclosures was 43 and cruise at 32-33 yielded just under 4 mpg. I never had a single issue. I just sold it to another GG member who took it over to the West Coast.

I have a detailed repower thread on here with alot of data. I am taking delivery of Marlin 300 today with twin 250 OX66's so I sure will miss the fuel mileage of that motor. I say go for it. It is the perfect match for that boat.

gw204

Reaction score
20 miles off the beach in VA. Just sayin'... :wink: I think I ran in that day on the last 5' of a 20' hull and once I hit the inlet, I went even faster. :lol:

IMG_0382.jpg

If you enjoy going fast, get a motor that will let you do it. Plenty of options out there that can provide both speed and reliability/longevity.