Yamaha F225 corosion

Slacktime

Reaction score
I know that this is not a new topic and it has been discussed before. I Just pulled he lower units on my F225s mounted on a 2003 Marlin with 700 hrs. on them for the biennial water pump replacement. I'm trying to decide if I have the corrosion plague that has been discussed frequently on this board. Attached are the pictures I was able to get with my cell phone. I think the corrosion is not too bad, but I am seeking opinions from the Yamaha experts out there. I boat in cold water New England, and was told that corrosion in the dry exhaust is mainly a warm water problem and is also due to poorly running engines. Of course the material problem is always there

thanks, Slacktime[attachment=0]2013-03-16 Left 1sm.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-03-16 Left 1sm.jpg
    2013-03-16 Left 1sm.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 9,433
  • 2013-03-16 Right 1sm.jpg
    2013-03-16 Right 1sm.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 9,433

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello Slacktime,
I have 2002's with little over 500 hours. Yours do look like mine did and yes both needed new exhausts. You can scope them and see if they look like that further up but don't screw around if you are not sure. I probably could have got another season but didnt want to chance the corrosion getting to the block. I had them both done last May and did the oil pumps, VST'S,s thermostats at the same time. Wasn't cheap though, the exhausts with the oil pumps were $2,500 each
without the oil pumps $2,000 each, that price is on Long Island using a certified shop. Good luck!

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes that is the corrosion issue that i also experienced. I had to replace exhaust & other parts for both engines last year. I would suggest dropping a note to boat us, they are collecting data on this corrosion issue, the guy i emailed CFort@BOATUS.com GOOD LUCK

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I had corrosion issues in my f225s. they had about 900hrs at the time. Most of the problems were further up in the exhaust system. I agree with Lainie J. I would rec. doing the oil pump at the same time. it will be open and accesible.

Slacktime

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. I plan to bore scope it when the weather gets a little warmer to collect more data. Also sent the photos to the Grady Dealer who has forwarded tham to the Yamaha tech. I will post the outcome.

Slacktime

Reaction score
Just got an email from the local Grady dealer. Yamaha tech recommends replacing the exhaust. I will have them do the oil pumps and vst's as well. thanks to all for the advice. Ouch! I will wait for the $ damage to come in before notifying Boat US. Ouch!

Slacktime

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes that is the issue. I have the same issue but luckily it will be done under warranty. FYI mine looks like yours and the Yamaha tech I had come out said to wait. He was a great guy and inspected and wrote a report to document for Yamaha. He is mobile and works out of New Bedford area. Will travel to the Cape and inspected my engine in Bolton, MA. Not sure of your locale. He is considered one of the best techs in our area and may save you some you some big $. I think I recall him saying it is about $1500 and engine but cannot remember for sure. I have replaced the dealer service with him and he comes very highly recommended from folks on THT.

He Also said not issue going another season on mine and doing it in the fall so I can get in the water early. Also if you have an issue during the season he can trick the engine to keep you running. He said it is rare that it gets up to the block up here. Mine looked very similar to yours and it is there but not necessary right away.

PM me if you want his information.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here are pics of mine that he said I can make the season on it the way it is. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Mark Ayotte Port motor.JPG
    Mark Ayotte Port motor.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 7,982
  • Mark Ayotte Starboard motor.JPG
    Mark Ayotte Starboard motor.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 7,982

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just had both of mine done. 2004 F225 436 hours. Starboard was worse than Port. Fortunately being aware of the problem I knew what to look for and address before oil pan was compromised. If that happens the outcome is not good. Went for complete mid sections, oil pans, oil pumps, all new seals. A lot of work and a lot of money. Not happy that it came to this, but the alternative was not acceptable. The Yamaha mechanics say that with this addressed, these motors should good for a long time.. As other posts have noted, this problem is not limited to F225. It is also common in F200's. Even a few F250's may present with the issue, although not as common in the F225/200 because the F250's came after the F225's and some benefitted to whatever corrective action Yamaha initiated. Forewarned is forearmed. When the water pumps are done, best to scope all the way up to the oil pan. If you can see any pock marks and gasket material - best to address. I did send all info to BoatUS. Please let all you know with this issue to do the same. Maybe Yamaha will step up.

OceanBean
2004 GW 282 F225

fishin trip

Reaction score
I had a 2005 225 with 265 hrs the thermostat housing corroded sent salt water into the intake and shut down my engine.After searching I discovered this happened with others.I ran water through engine after use and had engine serviced every year with my dealer.Yamaha wouldn't help at all they said it was out of warranty and was my problem. The engine was 5 years old , looked brand new ,but a piece of junk.Thankfully my dealer steped up and helped me out.

Slacktime

Reaction score
Here is my post mortem on this worn out subject: After repairs were made to both engines and my issue was registered with BoatUS, I received a call from Yamaha. After the excitement wore off about receiving the call, I also received the bad news. They will do nothing. The motors are ten years old and 7 years out of warrantee. I asked about the design defect but only received the same answer. I think they have the script prepared in advance. The only thing we can do is warn others about the issue. I spent $3700 on both engines but also had some other work done while they were in there - oil pump etc. I'm not complaining about the money, just the shabby attitude from Yamaha. they could have at least thrown me a bone - I would have taken ten bucks just for consolation.

Slacktime, 300 Marlin 2003.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I can't believe Yamaha is being so short sighted about this issue - We all know that these engines cost 20K+ and many of us are running twins - as Slacktime responded " I would be happy with ten bucks" - you would think they would be concerned with losing the next 40K repower and offer a token of a grand or two - the cost to them would be 1/2 of that?

This is how great companies crash and burn

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If it makes you guys feel any better. I did one my engines(F225) 2 years ago. At that time, I got the same response from Yamaha. Engines are way out of warranty etc. Parts alone ran me the cost of the entire job today(no kit available then). Yamaha and the local Yamaha dealer/ mechanic. Both told me over and over, this was an isolated problem in the south, Mine was one of the first cases in the NE. Fast forward 2 years later. The same dealer and mechanic, now has a canned estimate in the computer for this exhaust job. With the parts kit(roughly 1/3 of the cost 2 years ago), and stocks enough parts on hand at all times to fix 2 engines. I will not go into other costs for these engines i.e trim seals/ trim motors etc. Yamaha and their dealer network are making a fortune off of repairing these engines, both from parts and keeping their dealers/techs busy doing expensive repairs.