Yamaha F225 & F250

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just to add to the database, my 2008 F250 was scoped at 500 hr and showed absolutely no corrosion. The thermostat housings were fine also. The manufacture date on the engine is 05/07. So they must have worked through most of the old inventory parts by that date. It's clearly caused by a metallurgy problem.

I scope my engine every 2 years when I change the impeller.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I suspect the issue is not warmer water or salinity (which only varies slightly), but time. When I moved from Florida to North Carolina my boating season was cut in half. If you live in south Florida your boating season is pretty much year round. It you live on Buzzards Bay that season is much shorter. Time likely is the difference and the more time a motor is in the water and used the more likely a problem of a failed component will show up. I am just speculating but it seems reasonable.

Fishtales

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
I suspect the issue is not warmer water or salinity (which only varies slightly), but time. When I moved from Florida to North Carolina my boating season was cut in half. If you live in south Florida your boating season is pretty much year round. It you live on Buzzards Bay that season is much shorter. Time likely is the difference and the more time a motor is in the water and used the more likely a problem of a failed component will show up. I am just speculating but it seems reasonable.

Hi,
I think this is definitely a factor. Probably a few things working together here together (use, water temperature, salinity).