Yamaha F225 Gauges questions

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
FWW, Last year we swapped the original 1999 2 stroke Evinrude on our 99 226 with a 2013 Yamaha F200 and bought and installed new guages. After that was done my son figured out how to interconnect the NEMA interface with our Raymarine “A” series MFD units. While we still have the gauges, we get more info in a larger, clearer format on the MFD units and you can customize how you want the info displayed (both photos same MFD, just different screen). Other than a cable adaptor for Raymarine, I think it was pretty much plug and play.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
that look like a good idea. I have 2 Raymarine units . 7"Axiom chartplotter/gps and a 9" element fishfinder. I wonder If i could link the motor to one of these?

C-Farer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Keeldad's son here.. Yes you should be able to link your F225 to your Raymarine Axiom MFD, without needing the proprietary Yamaha CommandLink interface, Raymarine Eci-100 engine data interface module and associated connections between those two units. I can give you a parts list and install instructions/MFD calibration if you're this is something you're interested in doing., I would need the exact year and type of F225 you're working with (Not every F225 is the same, for example our F200 is a F200XB which lacks features a F200## would have, etc. You can look this up with the serial # of the OB...) Assuming your available connections are the same/similar to what I encountered with ours, I was able to bypass all the high-priced RM/Yamaha electronics (over $500 not including required cables and adapters mind you,) by utilizing a universal NMEA2000 Yamaha engine interface cable connected directly into the OB, and interfaced into our existing SeatalkNG backbone via a NMEA2000 to SeatalkNG adapter (SealktalkNG is just NMEA2000 simply pinned-out with connectors to only work with RM equipment.) The run of cable is long enough to where you'd likely need to run a Backbone extension cable to a T-Piece to link it to the Lowrance Cable fitted with the NMEA2000 to SeatalkNG adapter. All-in-all I think the total cost was less than $200 for everything. I have some pictures somewhere I can try to dig up to help when I get a chance.

Reactions: ilmmct

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
C-Farer.
I would be interested. My yamaha F225TURA should be a 2002 model.
thanks ahead of time for the info.

C-Farer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bloodweiser, okay that helps me start the research process, I'm on duty tonight but if I have free time during my tour I'll start piecing together what I think you'd need. I would still need some specifics regarding your raymarine MFD setup, shoot me a PM.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yup. That’s my boy. He’s Research and Development and I’m Finance. He built (and I paid for) a wonderfully interconnected electronics package for our Seafarer but I still have problems on what button or screen to touch to get things to work. Everytime I turn around he’s showing me some feature on the setup that I have no clue existed. Just for the record, back in the day I was pretty hot stuff with electronics. I was even the lead IC Electrician on a ballistic missile submarine. These days? I just want him to show me what button to push to have some fair lovely appear to mix me a drink and rub my aching back.

coffeydp

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey C-Farer, I know this is an older post, but I have a question you might have the answer to. I recently did the same as you, just to a SIMRAD MFD. Now my question is, do I need to keep any of the gauges connected for any reason? Looking to clean everything up and get rid of the old gauges, since the displays are busted anyways. I have all of the data I need on the MFD, but not sure if the gauges provide anything additional or are required to run. Thanks!

coffeydp

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can repair myself, I'm just looking to confirm whether or not the gauges have to be hooked up for the engine to run. I have the engine on n2k and all the data is being displayed on my MFD, so no real need for the gauges, sans the alarms.