yamaha F225 on overnighter..too much??

jc12

Reaction score
Hey guys.. i have long been in the marked for a overnighter and just now come across an amazing combo.. it is a 1991 204c in mint shape, it has a reinforced transom with the offshore bracket. The motor is a 2012 yamaha f225 and a brand new yamaha 9.9 (both 4 strokes).. Now my biggest concern is weight and power. I have yet to see one powered by a 225 but have read around you can max up to 230? Should i be concerned that it is a heavy 4 stroke? I stood in it and the boat felt like it was slanted with the bow much higher than the stern, but this was the one and only overnighter i have ever stood in so i have little to compare. Here are some pictures let me know your opinions as i am one of a few bidders and ready to purchase immediately (upon successful survey) thanks!! Here are some pics of it

98e50bbe-f2f5-4cb5-bb6c-1f380729975d_zpsd2106a0f.jpg

d0824fb1-ed2a-4372-adb7-5fd339e95cda_zps1e1f8bf8.jpg

3a3a3eb2-5e3f-44ee-868c-c43ee755aa26_zpsdf759d45.jpg

eea92aa5-3a13-4884-832c-e586aca88228_zpsafb250fd.jpg

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The boat looks a bit butt heavy, but that might not be a bad thing with that hull.

Are the scuppers under water with a couple of folks on board?

The only way to really know if that setup works out is to take it for a ride in a good chop or roll. You shouldn't need much throttle to get good performance and the fuel economy should be good since you can likely run fine under 4000 rpm. The engine should turn just under 6000 rpm at WOT for best performance.

Bread

Reaction score
In 2008 when I re-powered my 1990 Overnighter 204C the local (CT) Grady/Yamaha Dealer recommended the Yamaha 150hp four stroke or the HPDI 200hp for the 204C transom. I am not familiar with how the reinforced transom and bracket effect that. Agree with Doc S., to my untrained eye the boat looks a little heavy in the stern.

If you like, PM me with your email and I can send a photo (couldn’t post it) of how my boat looks.

jc12

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.. i spoke with the broker and he said "you can just block off the scuppers".. i dont know if that is best idea if ever stuck offshore and taking waves over the transom. I called a local grady dealer and since the boat was not purchased from them they really didn't want to talk but i squeezed a little info out of the guy and he said that is too much weight for the boat. I can't believe a large reputable shop would let someone invest nearly40k into the motors (kicker) and transom build if it wasn't safe or smart.

I really like this boat.. it is the cleanest i have ever seen and they are extremely rare and overpriced here in canada. My next thought was trading the motor in and downsizing to a smaller yamaha as it already has all the gauges/hook ups etc. I called a local marina and they estimated the value of my 2012 f225 with 100hrs at 9grand.. seems very low. To switch to a new 4 cyl yamaha i would pay an additional 11 grand plus taxes after trade in.. haha not happening. Thoughts?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I can't comment on the stern weight issue, but I can tell you that my scuppers on my 232 Gulfstream are submerged with the weight of my twin 200 4-strokes.
It doesn't matter.. My boat drains fine anyway. I guess if yours are further submerged than mine it might be a topic to consider, but from your pics our waterlines seem to be close.
Don't "Block Off The Scuppers" until you demo the boat and see how they drain at sea or dockside.

I would have ordered a 225 if I was going to buy a new 208. Looks good....

jc12

Reaction score
okay good advice, does anyone have any overnighter experience with the angle of the deck.. i will be doing a lot of fishing and it has a decent slant to it. Is this how the hull is designed and the stern is always a little low. I am coming from a 16.5 CC and it is basically flat when trolling so it is hard to have an unbiased opinion

Pay2Play

Reaction score
Looking at the lines of the bottom paint compared to how it sits in the water it doesn't look bad. But I would look to see if its been repainted to make up for the added weight. Also if I had a four stoke I think I'd get rid of the kicker, that should free up 100 lbs or so. I only have the kicker for trolling and don't want to run my two stoke at idle for extended periods, that engine should be good for both.Another thing you don't mention is price or if there is a trailer included.

jc12

Reaction score
okay.. please keep in mind i live in canada haha and don't get those amazing northeast prices. They are asking 27k and apparently have 50k of investment over the last 2 years to show (motors, transom work - i guess to compensate for the bigger motor?, brand new canvas, new electronics, batteries, wiring, switch). There is no trailer included (i will be storing in water) but will eventually need a trailer. Our prices are remarkably higher here, but i did almost purchase an 88 overnighter 204c in washington with brand new suzuki df150 for 24k but it sold before i could make the trip (within days of being advertised) if that gives you a perspective.

I got the name of the motor shop and hull shop (2 different places) which did the motor and reinforced offshore bracket so i will give them a call.. but i doubt they will have anything bad to say about it seeing as they did the work haha

additional info and pics

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... &noOfPic=1

lime4x4

Reaction score
on my offshore 24 the rear transom deck drains are below the water surface and when i wash the deck it has no problem draining

jc12

Reaction score
ya.. i thought about just removing the kicker but i really like the piece of mind.. i suppose i could store it up front? Most of my trips are 5-10 miles minimum and i can't count how many times ive been near stranded if it weren't for my kicker

Do these 206g have a different transom weight limit than 204c? And should your kicker be included in that or only the main motor as they sit in different spots

gxsess

Reaction score
i repowered my 86 ovenighter with 200 hp optimax in 2012.mine is an open transom not a bracket. when i called grady they suggested i dont put much more than 500 lbs on the transom. the opti weighs in at 510. granted its not on a bracket but my boat sits way closer to level in the water than this one does. scuppers drain fine. i would like to see how that deck drains when 2 fisherman are standing aft and trolling. looks like it
wouldnt drain at all.

Biscayne208

Reaction score
I think that will be too heavy. Especially considering the fact that it is on a bracket. I just repowered my 1993 208 with the new Yamaha F200XB inline 4 and that is the perfect motor. It weighhs over 120lb less than that 225. I actually may be upgrading my boat soon as I plan on making more Bahamas crossings. If you are interested let me know via PM. My boat is as clean as they come and it has 80 hrs on a 13' Yamaha F200XB with Command Link Guages, and a Garmin 740S Z Touchscreen GPS 1 week old, Lewmar stailness windlass. pulpit, enclosures, hardtop, freshwater,raw water, 2010 Aluminum trailer,Custom Cushions, Full Sunbrella boat cover, the works.

Regardless try to look for a 1993 and up so you can get a SeaV2 Hull.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I have a the same F200 Yamaha on my 208 and agree it's the right motor. I had a setup similar to the poster's before that with a 225 Salt Water series and 9.9hp four stroke kicker. It rode low and would always get my feet wet when I went aft. They drained none the less. Also had problems with the hull listing like yours does. I would not run this boat without trim tabs as porpoising was a major problem even on smooth water. I would not be as worried about the kicker with a newer motor like yours.

jc12

Reaction score
It's such a good setup for me except for the damn f225.. I've been calling around for quotes on trading it in for a new yami 4cyl 200 which falls just under 500#. I can't believe this motor cost low 20s new and now they want to buy it back a year later for 10k.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I don't think it would be worth trading in the 225 for a F200 and losing so much on the trade. My F200 2013 repower cost me $17k. I would consider taking the kicker off and getting $2k for it and going with the f225 single power. Your main power is new and should be reliable and a 9.9 kicker can get you 6mph max on calm water and would just as soon have a Sea Tow membership. The only shortcoming you will have is if you try to troll slowly as mine goes about 3mph which is a bit faster than I like to troll for lake stripers.

Does the boat have trim tabs?

jc12

Reaction score
okay, so i am trying to get the general consensus.. if i were to stand in the back with 3 guys and scuppers still drain etc etc is there much else to worry about? When grady says only 500 pounds could i possibly rip the bracket right off haha. I have yet to call the shop which did all the transom work, but could they have done anything which would allow for more weight to be added to the bracket? I fish in a very active pass where tankers/cruise ships and ferries get within 30 metres of you so i need a kicker for that just in case moment

Also anyone with an overnighter - do you find the deck slightly slanted? Is that normal for the design of the hull no matter a 500 or 600 pound motor? Thanks!

Bread

Reaction score
the F225 trade-in seems like a real low ball offer.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Since you are so torn on what to do, I'll throw out this possibly wild idea. What if you had a "buoyancy " box added under the water line on the transom and/or add lead balast to the bow to level things out? You only need to displace 15 gallons of water erase the weight of the 225 while off plane (depending on where you place it) .

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I know you won't like this...But...Pass. GW built the boat for a certain HP and weight. Modifying that changes everything and not for the better. You don't know how well they did the transom and even if they did a great job (Which includes no current or future water intrusion) it is too much weight back there - Especially with the kicker. Buying it and swapping motors would be too much investment for that boat. It just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of nice boats like this out there. Someone on here just listed a 2013 I think. You could by in the US and ship. You do not want scuppers under water. You just don't. Plugging them defeats the purpose. Take a big wave over the stern and you are going to regret it. Keep looking.