Yamaha F225 Telltale advice

Mjdap

Reaction score
I had my F225 in for yearly service at dealer. They performed a 400 hour maintenance check. I have 377 hours. They replaced the impeller during this check.

Anyway, I picked it up without checking, did my ususal boat prep for the spring, and launched today, and guess what. No telltale water indicating engine water cooling. It came out, after about 1 minute, but was sporadic.

I was at the ramp, boat in the water, and ready to be moved to slip a very short distance away, maybe 3 minutes away. I decided to put it into the slip, but the telltale stopped on the way over, and while in the slip would not produce any water.

I will call the dealer tomarrow, but what could be the problem. Could they have taken the impellor out, and not replace? I am not familiar with this so I do not know what to do for troubleshooting. Anything simple?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the impeller wasn't installed no water would come out, ever. Maybe the woodruf key wasn't installed or the cover isn't tight? Kinda hard to think they would mess up that job. There's a posibility it could be the poppet valve. Do you flush the motor out when you're done using it?

Tashmoo

Reaction score
The easy answer is that they did not get the water tube into its socket when they reinstalled the lower unit. Otherwise, they screwed up the installation of the pump which is kind of hard to do.

87offshore24

Reaction score
or it could just be a clogged up tell tale outlet, unfold a paper clip and stick it up the oulet while the engine is running.

Brad1

Reaction score
87offshore24 said:
or it could just be a clogged up tell tale outlet, unfold a paper clip and stick it up the oulet while the engine is running.

87offshore24's got it right. At least based on my experience.

I own a 2003 F225. The first couple years I owned the engine, I never had a problem with water not coming out the tell tale. When I run the engine in the driveway, I use the dual feed muffs. Well, two years ago, after changing the impeller and housing, no water comes out the tell tale. I shut it down right away. I knew I did everything right with the impeller change. I've changed many an impeller on various other engines and this one was no different. But that was the first time I started the engine since I put it away for winter, nearly 6 months before. I took a small piece of wire and gently reamed out the tale tell. After that, I turned the muffs back on and started the engine. It was peeing fine then.

Had the same thing happen at the dock last year. Based on my previous experience, I knew what to do. Immediately shut the motor off, use a small wire like I mentioned above, and problem fixed.

Based on my experience and everything I read on THT, it seems to be a quirk with this motor.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fixing the Telltail

I concur with Brad from Monroeville, even if he lives in the land of Pitt fans. Funny thing about being the number one seed in the NCAA tourney, eh Brad??? Go 'Nova!!!!

I have "fixed" my water pump with a paper clip unclogging the line that runs to the telltail more times than I can count. However, at 400 hours for the impeller change, you were due anyway.

I replaced my own impeller last year, hooked up the mouse ears, and it first appeared that I screwed up the job. However, I used duct tape to attach dual-flow mouse ears really tightly to the engine. Then I moved the boat closer to the faucet so the length of hose carrying the water was considerably shorter. Voila - the water poured out of the telltaile like a champ. So it can become a function of water pressure to the mouse ears.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pull the cowl off, and with the motor off, touch both heads near each of the 6 plugs, if you can keep your hand there the motor is cooling, if you cuss, you are in trouble, don't run it.

Had an OMC 200 ran all season with no tell tale, salt had clogged up one of the orifices in a tube fitting to the tell tale.

Don't count on high temp alarm to make the determination if motor is overheating or not.

seasick

Reaction score
If you use the flush out fitting, water will come out of the telltale if it is not blocked. Make a note of how the water stream looks. It should look as good or better when the motor is running normally. If nothing or a trickle comes out of the tellatel with the motor in the water but the telltale is strong when using the flush fitting, you have a pump or circulation problem.