Yamaha F250 Engine Shutdown

Blackbird

Reaction score
I run a 2005 283 w/ twin Yamaha F250's in Florida. I have them serviced each fall, including tune ups. Up until this spring, neither has ever missed a beat. After light use in Jan/Feb, one of the engines shut down while at idle speed. It was clearly a fuel starvation issue and I came home on the other. The next day, I tried again, it sputtered a bit, came to life and then ran fine. A couple weeks later, the same thing happened only with the other engine. I suspected issues with the gas that had been in the tank for a few months, added more stabilizer and replaced the fuel/water filters. Both engines have been running fine for more than 100 hours and several fuel tank turnovers, until this past weekend. After running at speed about an hour to a fishing spot and sitting a couple hours, one engine shut down right after starting. A couple pumps on the hand bulb would give enough fuel to run for a few seconds. About 30 minutes later, the other shut down and I was dead in the water. After an hour of sitting, one started and ran fine and after about another hour, the second fired off and ran fine all the way back in. All the shutdowns have occurred after the engines have been running at speed, were shut down for a short time and then immediately after restarting. Most of the time, I use ethanol gas with a stabilizer which was in the tank last winter. Since the 1st problems, I have been using only non-ethanol gas which is in the tank now. This is one of those dreaded intermittent issues but needs to be resolved. Any comments and/or suggestions?

Thanks,

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One fuel tank? If so check the tank vent for blockage ...or remove the cap when it happens and see if it starts and runs ok.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My guess is your VST tank filter is clogging up. Do a search on the hull truth, lots of info.