Yamaha F250 TXRD timing belt

IanC

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Gulfstream with a 2005 Yamaha F250 TXRD motor. I have just over 1000 hrs on the motor which are mostly trolling hours. I bought it at 500 hrs and to my knowledge the timing belt has never been changed. The mechanic did an extensive tune up and said the timing belt looked fine and thought maybe it had been changed. I have heard that Yamaha changed their recommendation to change the belt at 1000 hrs to inspect it every 100 hrs and wonder if this is accurate.
As well, does anyone know if this is an interference or non-interfence motor as the consequences of a timing belt failure are so different.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am not a mechanic or engineer, but I am a boaterman and I owned that motor to 1,100 hours.. I did the timing belt before a trip I took to the Dry Tortugas in 17. The motor was flawless. If you have 500 hours on it you should be fine until 1,000 hours or past it even..Asking your guy to inspect it annually while you get the annual service done might be a good thing and give you a peace of mind. I don't know if Yammy issued a service bulletin or not regarding 100 hour inspection.