Yamaha F250 vs F350 for the Tournament 275 - Help

Reaction score
I'm new to the board - great stuff here!

I'm one of the original owners of the Tournament 275. Ordered and took delivery last spring before the Yamaha F350 was an option. So my choices were the twin 150s or a Yamaha F250. The boat is primarily being used on the weekends to take the family out and about - I have two young children so I wanted something that they can have some fun on that wouldn't be too much work. GWs run in my family so I've got alot of experience with the entire line.

The Yamaha F250 is a nice engine but appears to be a bit overmatched for this boat. I was wondering if I'd notice a significant (or should I say noticeable) difference if I upgraded the engine from the F250 to the new Yamaha F350???

My dealer is offering to do this but I need to decide within the next week to have the engine delivered and installed before it's drop date of May 16.

thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Whoa! The F250 is a minimum HP engine for that former Islander hull, even when the engines were 2 stroke OX66 250s with more balls than Fs.

I know another member or two have your boat with the F350, can't wait for their reply! (Get ready to write the check!)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, the free extended Yamaha 6 yr warranty ends Mar 31st, have you considerd this ? I believe also some free rigging is thrown in too.

Reaction score
Just Ordered the F350 ............

I just called my boat dealer and ordered the F350.........

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bought our Islander new six years ago, with a single 250HP OX66. Put 465 hours on it before repower. Fantastic engine, but just adequate for that boat. And the F250 isn't an OX66.

Repowered in Nov 2005 with twin F150s. A different boat. Considered the 300HPDI and the DF300 Suzi at the time. Would have considered an F350 if available.. Now have 550 hours on the twins.. :D

galaxie

Reaction score
Not sure if you made your decesion just yet. In the last 5 weeks I have test driven the new Tournament 275 with twin 150 and the single 350 power set up. I found the Twin 150 to be adequate in the calm condition I tested in yet I felt it may be lacking when in need. The turning radius seemed to be wider then on the single as well. I checked into the twin 200's and found that they gave little ( 1-2 MPH ) on the upside and the twin 250 was above any realistic need for me. Check out the grady website and look at the chase 273 power set ups for very close comparison as that is same hull.
The 350 set up arrived and I tested that the day after a noreaster with winds of 30 mph and 3-5 mixed up chop. It was real snotty. The boat handled so well in these conditions. I was truly amazed. The only effort was to trim in a quartering sea to level her out.

The 350 powered the boat increadibly well and always felt it had ample left in it for the time of need. Boat topped out at 48 mph and had powerful pick up. We were able to maintain a plain a fairly low speed as well. The engine was incredibly quiet and looked commanding and appropriate on this boat. Both test were done with the hardtop and full canvess.

350 is a solid power set up on this boat.
good luck

gw204

Reaction score
Since the boat was built before the F350 was available, did you call Grady to make sure the hull could handle the additional weight concentrated on a single mounting point?

Reaction score
Great Stuff

Thanks for the responses - they've been very helpful. I did order that F350 and it's being installed as we speak. It was clearly the right decision as the boat wasn't meant to be pushed by 1 F250. The resale value alone was worth the additional payment........and I got a great deal on the engine!!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Re: Great Stuff

Sunshine Daydream said:
Thanks for the responses - they've been very helpful. I did order that F350 and it's being installed as we speak. It was clearly the right decision as the boat wasn't meant to be pushed by 1 F250. The resale value alone was worth the additional payment........and I got a great deal on the engine!!

Sunshine: Please do call Grady ASAP. I just learned today that Grady came out with a bulletin saying all non-current boats (pre-2008) are not compatible with F350.

Rob

Reaction score
Thanks for the notice............

.........but the Tournament 275 came standard with the F350 last year.