Yamaha F250 vs. Honda BF250?

Dancing Crab

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am preparing to repower my 2003 228G with either a Yamaha F250XB or a Honda BF250DXRA, replacing the old F225. My marina is an authorized Honda and Yamaha dealer and says (hopefully) they can be delivered by Spring 2023. They gave me the options, and I'd appreciate any feedback or insight regarding the pros or cons of either of those outboards. Looking forward to warmer weather next year!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you already have Yamaha rigging and prices are similar, F250 all day long. And that's coming from a guy that doesn't care for Yamahas.
F250:
- more displacement
- much lighter
- the 4.2 is one of the most bulletproof outboards in the business

If the difference in Yamaha to Honda is more than $3k, I'd look more closely at the Honda.
Either will work well, but the Yamaha on that hull will likely be better.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with Family Affair for the most part, although I'd say if you really wanted the Yamaha over the Honda and the price difference was only $3k as well as you planned on having the boat for 10-15+ years then that's a pretty minimal amount of extra money spent. Of course, $3k saved can buy you a decent amount of fuel as well as other things, but we're just speculating here with regards to the pricing. I do like that the Yamaha is a little bit lighter, although it's not really a night and day difference or anything. The Yamaha 250 per their website says it weighs 562 lbs dry, whereas the Honda 250 is 622 lbs dry, so a difference of exactly 60 lbs, which to me shouldn't be too terribly noticeable or anything. Honda makes great motors, although yes they typically do weigh a bit more than the Yamaha but one thing that FA didn't mention and I think is a big difference between the two is the warranty. Yamaha comes standard with a 3 year warranty whereas Honda comes standard with a 5 year warranty. Could you buy an extended warranty from Yamaha? I'm sure they wouldn't turn down yourself offering them more money, but again, it's only going to add to the price. If the price difference between the two was in fact $3k-5k and you had to pay for an extended warranty through Yamaha then yes, I'd seriously consider the Honda or even other options.

That other option and imo what I'll likely go with if/when I ever go to re-power will be a Suzuki 250. The Suzuki 250 weight is at 606 lbs dry, so between the Yamaha and the Honda, of which it's likely going to be the least expensive motor out there and it also comes with a standard 5 year warranty. Typically Yamaha has a price sheet floating around on Google, of which I wasn't able to find it but usually the MSRP on their 250 outboards is around the $25k price range, depending on the model. The first link listed below has most of the Yamaha models as well as their MSRP prices and sales prices at a Yamaha dealer but it will give you an idea as to what the MSRP is for each model. The second is a price sheet for Honda outboards, of which it's the most recent that I could find, but it is from 2018 so I'm assuming the prices have obviously gone up a bit. The last link is for a Suzuki dealer and their pricing for Suzuki outboards, which the Honda and Suzuki are going to be likely the cheaper options, especially if you can find one on sale or your dealer has a special going. Lastly, I'd be curious about what's readily available as I know that KY Grady has been waiting for a Yamaha 250 4.2L outboard for I believe almost 2 years now. Which might play more into the equation of which motor you decide on going with.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This statement will probably cause an uproar, but here it goes anyway. If you're keeping the boat for the long haul, ask the independent outboard technicians what brand they would recommend. I did...... and they all said Yamaha. Having said that, there are still Yamaha years and displacements to avoid that are well documented (corrosion issues, flywheel issues, etc.) but a newer 250 is solid.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think Yamaha is the most popular brand out there and the one that you see pretty much all the time on boats or at least where I live, especially Grady White's where I believe they exclusively use Yamaha? My biggest frustrations with Yamaha would be the price, the 3 year warranty vs a 5 year, and I've heard a few complaints about their customer service over the years. The biggest of which would be the dry exhaust corrosion issue from 2002 up until about 2008-2009, where it seems like they knew there were potentially issues with their motors but didn't really step up to help out the consumers at all. Obviously things have changed a bit over the past almost two decades, but if they were that unwilling to do anything for their customers then, and I heard some people even had the issues while still under warranty, it would make me somewhat hesitant to go with them today. Just my opinions of course.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ford vs Chevy... or Nissan vs Toyota as the case may be There's no such thing as a "bad" engine manufacturer. You'd be happy with either. Any performance differences (whether due to weight or whatever) are going to be negligible. Mercury makes a good engine, too - although it sounds like your marina of choice doesn't carry them - it's best to keep your choice local to whomever is going to work on it.

Dancing Crab

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your feedback and insight. It is a very close call as both manufacturers are highly recommended. Fortunately, my 2003 F225 did not have the exhaust issues of almost 20 years ago, which I worried about, and I noted the lackluster customer service response by Yamaha to address that issue. My sense is Yamaha did not take that problem lightly. In searching for a used F225 or F250, there are very few if any manufactured after 2006 for sale, which I think speaks well for the quality of newer models.

The Honda's longer warranty period and slightly lower price are tempting. It requires new rigging, though. It is good to know my marina is an authorized dealer and has technicians for both brands and that Honda is a very equivalent and formidable alternative.

I also called Grady White's customer service rep since Yamaha has been GW's partner for over 25 years. For whatever it is worth, I will stick with the F250XB. After all, a Grady just wouldn't "look right" without Yamaha power, right? Many thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Either way you go, it's a good choice. In the end, it's what makes YOU feel good about your choice and it sounds like you put some solid thought into it,

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also called Grady White's customer service rep since Yamaha has been GW's partner for over 25 years. For whatever it is worth, I will stick with the F250XB. After all, a Grady just wouldn't "look right" without Yamaha power, right? Many thanks!
Just out of curiosity and for those inquiring minds out there... any idea what the price difference will be between the Yamaha and the Honda and if you're able to buy an extended warranty with Yamaha? I wasn't too sure about them at first but I've come to appreciate the looks of the white model Suzuki's on a Grady White as well and think they look quite nice. Not sure if the white will turn yellow over time in the sun, but looking pictures on Google, I think they look pretty sleek.

Last edited:

Dancing Crab

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From what I have been quoted, it's only about $2-3K difference in MSRP, depending on the dealer, with Yamaha's three year extended warranty. Dealers have some flexibility in pricing within limitations from the manufacturers to prevent gouging in these tough times. Of course, they can always offer a discount for their best customers. I did not research Suzuki in this exercise.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What kind of price did you find for the new F250XB? I've been waiting a day or two for my F250XCB to arrive,,,

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From what I have been quoted, it's only about $2-3K difference in MSRP, depending on the dealer, with Yamaha's three year extended warranty. Dealers have some flexibility in pricing within limitations from the manufacturers to prevent gouging in these tough times. Of course, they can always offer a discount for their best customers. I did not research Suzuki in this exercise.
I found this place online, they're called Pasadena Boat Works and are in Maryland as well, they're a Suzuki dealer and have a price list for some of their models of outboards but don't list a Suzuki 250 in a 25" shaft length. The other 250's though are either $18k or $19k and then it's an extra $3k for installation. Most of the Yamaha 250's seem to be at least $25k, if not considerably more for the digital controls etc, and that's before installation. Might be something to reconsider if you can get a Suzuki outboard including the cost of the installation for $4k or so less than what you’d pay just for the Yamaha outboard itself.

A31B1A16-A881-445C-AC14-1FBC764B5DEC.png

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I went with zuke 250s in 2018 due to availability and am thrilled....7k cheaper it I recall and had zero issues and tons more torque...folks zukes are made for gradys with that low end torques...450 hours now

Dancing Crab

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was quoted $25,900 and $26,100 by several different Yamaha dealers. I am told Yamaha controls pricing to prevent abuse, so the quotes are within a range Yamaha says dealers can charge.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Another vote for the Yamaha. My F250s are still going strong, never a breakdown or issue in 16 years and I'd replace them with the same in a heartbeat.

Reactions: igblack87

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
My 130 2stroke and 250 4stroke were/are great. I would get either one again in a heart beat.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Since you asked, I recommend the 4.2 Liter Yamaha all the way.

This is not a Ford Vs. Chevy thing. All outboards everywhere are compared to Yamaha.
If you have a Honda, or a Mercury, or a Suzuki, I'm sure you're happy with it. No disrespect expressed.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve got a 30 inch Suzuki DF250 on my Seafarer, been running it for 3 years, just crazy amount of torque. I had Yamahas for over 20 years but made the switch to Suzuki, so far very impressed.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was quoted $25,900 and $26,100 by several different Yamaha dealers. I am told Yamaha controls pricing to prevent abuse, so the quotes are within a range Yamaha says dealers can charge.
Is that just for the motor or including the installation as well?