Yamaha F250

mjmwelder

Reaction score
To any one who has this engine on there boat how many hours do you have on motor, what if any problems have you experienced. And finally what do you believe the life of the motor would be (total hours) if the proper maintenance schedule is followed.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are you asking about the 3.3 liter or the newer 4.2 liter F250? Each one has its own issues, but overall they are among the most reliable engines Yamaha has ever made.

The lifetime of an outboard is determined more by the number of years in service than running hours. I generally consider 10 years of service to be about the limit in saltwater before you need to start worrying about reliability. Corrosion of various parts is what usually does them in rather than the engine parts wearing out. In freshwater, they last a whole lot longer.

There are lots of F250's with many thousands of hours out there that are still running fine. Many guides put on 1000+ hr per year and trade out every 3 years.

seasick

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
Are you asking about the 3.3 liter or the newer 4.2 liter F250? Each one has its own issues, but overall they are among the most reliable engines Yamaha has ever made.

The lifetime of an outboard is determined more by the number of years in service than running hours. I generally consider 10 years of service to be about the limit in saltwater before you need to start worrying about reliability. Corrosion of various parts is what usually does them in rather than the engine parts wearing out. In freshwater, they last a whole lot longer.

There are lots of F250's with many thousands of hours out there that are still running fine. Many guides put on 1000+ hr per year and trade out every 3 years.
Doc, I suppose I could argue your statement about the F250 being the most (or one of the most) reliable engines Yamaha made. I would propose a strong case for the OX series, particularly the SX150 as being historically the most reliable engine by Yamaha.
I don't think you can ignore exhaust corrosion issues on F225s and some have said F250s. Personally, I would avoid those motors for years before 2006, perhaps 2007. The F series have had their share of drive shaft bushing issues and failing oil pump seals but I must admit I have seem most of those oil pump seal issues on the smaller F150s.
I always find it difficult if not impossible to guess the useful life remaining on a motor since regardless of the hours, it doesn't take a lot of abuse to significantly impact lifespan. I always recommend that a person looking at a boat take a close look at how the boat itself has been cared for and in many cases if the boat was cared for, the motors probably were also. If the owner kept a log of service and maintenance, that is also a good sign. At my club, we have a lot of pretty old motors that are still running well. Some are 20 years old and although they aren't the prettiest to look at they still start right up and run.
A survey several years ago found out that the vast majority of recreational boaters (something like 90%) put 100 hours or less on their motors in a season). So a 10 year old motor might have 1000 hours and probably less.
I guess what I am trying to say in a lot of words, is that total hours really don't mean much. The way the motor was cared for and used is much more important.

Happy holidays.
Seasick

mjmwelder

Reaction score
I'm sorry let me clarify my question, I was talking about the older F250 in the 05' to 08' model years thanks

HBSteve

Reaction score
Did you get the Virginia boat? If so, then be happy and let it fly.....If that boat's condition is as it appears, you got quality that you'll be very very happy with......

HBSteve

Reaction score
We have twin 250s on our Sailfish. They are 2005s. Just hit 700 hours. Had them in for service last week and were told "They're running perfect." We put 180 hours on them since last service in April 2014. They have been flawless.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I mean to say that the F250 was among the most reliable 4-stroke engines that Yamaha has made. I agree that the SX150 is probably the most bullet proof outboard ever made.

Only a few 2006 and early 2007 F250s have had the dry exhaust corrosion issue more commonly found in the early F200 and F225. But scoping the mid section of a used 3.3 L F250 should always be part of the general inspection. The most common drive shaft bushing issue on the 3.3 L F250 is just a squeal rather than anything really serious. There are a few more sensors on the F250 (because of variable valve timing) that can fail, but overall this has been a reliable engine. Be sure that the timing belt and tensioners have been replaced on an engine with over 1000 hr.

The only problem I have had is that my engine makes oil, but I think that was the result of breaking it in too gently. After 500 hr the problem became not nearly a bad as when the engine was newer.

mjmwelder

Reaction score
HB Steve I'm still in the negotiating process on the 282 in Virginia, they shut down for 10 days for the holidays.Found a couple more 282 Sailfishes that I liked to pursue farther, so we will see how it goes.

seasick

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
I mean to say that the F250 was among the most reliable 4-stroke engines that Yamaha has made. I agree that the SX150 is probably the most bullet proof outboard ever made.

Only a few 2006 and early 2007 F250s have had the dry exhaust corrosion issue more commonly found in the early F200 and F225. But scoping the mid section of a used 3.3 L F250 should always be part of the general inspection. The most common drive shaft bushing issue on the 3.3 L F250 is just a squeal rather than anything really serious. There are a few more sensors on the F250 (because of variable valve timing) that can fail, but overall this has been a reliable engine. Be sure that the timing belt and tensioners have been replaced on an engine with over 1000 hr.

The only problem I have had is that my engine makes oil, but I think that was the result of breaking it in too gently. After 500 hr the problem became not nearly a bad as when the engine was newer.

You said it well. One potential issue with the F series l corrosion is that I have seen the oil pans rot away from the inside out and although the motors I saw also had exhaust housing issues, the extent of the oi pan problem was scary at the least. That corrosion can't be seen unless the power head is pulled and the oil pan dropped, a costly operation.
What I don't know is if the oil pan starts to go before the exhaust housing or after. In the later case, scoping would be an acceptable diagnostic tool. If the oil pan can rot before the exhaust housing then scoping may not detect a problem. Have you seen oil pan rot without exhaust housing corrosion?

mjmwelder

Reaction score
No I have not seen that problem myself.As far as the corrosion on the exhaust manifold the cost has come down to repair,my mechanic told me it would cost about 2400.00 total to do my F225.I have a 02' F225 with 530hrs and so far no problems and we check every year for signs of something going on.Looking to upgrade to the 282 from the 232 but, if I don't then I might just bite the bullet and have the work done.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:

My 2010 F-250,330 hours and has been flawless. With regard to the squealing problem..I understand that was a bushing issue around 2005/2006 iirc, which was corrected with new style bushing. As you mentioned , there was a squealing issue after that which is pretty much harmless. I had it myself and it occurred now and then at idle after running hard. Someone said it was salt getting around it and I had read that you could spray silicone in the opening under the powerhead that leads to the bushing/driveshaft. However , what I do when retuning from a day out, I tilt the engine all the way down and, while its still running, I spray fresh water into that opening for 30 seconds. It has totally eliminated that noise and I haven't had it occur for 2 years.

HMBJack

Reaction score
853 flawless hours on my twin F250's - model year 2006 (manufacture date in late 2005).

If, when, I experience the corrosion issue, or any other for that matter, I will fix it as my power heads have at least another 2,000 hours in them. These are excellent, excellent, engines in my opinion. That said, I just wish Yamaha would stand by their product. They lost alot of goodwill and repeat customers due to the corrosion issues found in their 3.3L V6's. I will seriously consider Honda when I re-power.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 2007 twin F250's with 1039 hours, never had a problem. I just changed the timing belts and timing belt tensioners, as recommended. I do all the periodic maintenance as recommended in engine manual, flush engines after each use with salt terminator (or salt away), and CRC 56 everything in and on engines. I also change fuel water separators every 50 hours, and use only non ethanol fuel.

seasick

Reaction score
g0tagrip said:
I have 2007 twin F250's with 1039 hours, never had a problem. I just changed the timing belts and timing belt tensioners, as recommended. I do all the periodic maintenance as recommended in engine manual, flush engines after each use with salt terminator (or salt away), and CRC 56 everything in and on engines. I also change fuel water separators every 50 hours, and use only non ethanol fuel.
At some point in the 2006 2007 model years, the alloy used for the parts that were corroding was changed by Yamaha. I don't know how to know for sure but my impression was that most if not all 07s had the new alloy. I would consider 07s but would be hesitant on 06s. Just my feelings on the issue

tboylan

Reaction score
If this is the boat at Southeastern Marine in Virginia, I just cannot say enough positive things about Scott and the dealership. I bought a Gulfstream from them in the Spring. Great people to deal with. First class operation.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've read a lot on these motors and the F225. I believe the age of the motor is more important than the hours in many cases. Many report 1500-2K hours without issue, but these are guys that are using them a lot each season. The corrosion issue is real and affects the F250s as well as the F225s in my opinion. I get mine scoped when the lower units are dropped for service and last year we could see it starting on my 05 F250s. I'm biting the bullet to have corrosion parts replaced along with some other incidentals (internal zincs, a speedy gear and the oil pumps as when these are torn down this winter).
I have approx. 500 hours over 8 years and have had zero issues to date. I'm hoping once these parts are replaced I can get another 8 years out of them. Overall they are pretty darn good engines.

Blackbird

Reaction score
I have a pair of 05 250's with 1275 hours each. I replaced the gears on 1 at 1050 hours after fishing line cut the seal. Otherwise, no problems of any kind. I would recommend these engines to anyone anytime.