Yamaha F250B vs new gen F250 off shore

JKredriver

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a new Freedom 225 and am struggling with whether I should accept a good deal on a new boat that has the older Yamah F250B or if I should spring for more money and get the new gen F250 off shore. I understand the new gen is 50 pounds lighter, faster to plane, and much more high tech than the highly regarded F250B. Any opinions on whether I should save some dollars and go with the 250B?

Bama96

Reaction score
Depends on the $. The F250B is a tried and true performer with a long track record of reliable performance. The new F250 is lighter and may be a tad stronger due to it being a 4.2L block. It boils down to how much $ you will save. Both are great motors and you can't go wrong either way. Tough call.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
as noted, the 250b is well tested. not to say the new ones aren't great, but a few of us here are still dealing with some initial bugs in the f350's. no matter what you decide, recommend you get the YES thrown into the deal and all issues should surface by the end of 6 years. good luck, ron

from what i understand, the "B" is being discontinued in favor of the new line. the cable controlled 250 is going to stay to support repowers at a lower price point. just what i hear.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I looked into the pros and cons of both engines ealier this year when I was toying with the idea of repowering. The newer style comes with the command link plus controls with lcd displays. The newer engines are also fly by wire(no cables), which a few yamaha dealers told me will improve the "clunk" sound you get when shifting the enignes in and out of gear. The older engines will save you some money intially. However if you plan on selling this boat down the line, you may be better off with the newer style engine. You will see that difference in price again when you go to sell. Plus in all liklyhood the the same boat with newer style engine vs the old style will also be more attractable to the next buyer. If it was me I would go for the newer, lighter, more efficiant engine. plus just like the old saying goes "there is no replacement for displacement".

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
drbatts said:
I The newer engines are also fly by wire(no cables), which a few yamaha dealers told me will improve the "clunk" sound you get when shifting the enignes in and out of gear.

just a heads up. the "clunk" is reduced via the SDS (shift dampener system) which is part of the prop, not the engine. if you want to look into it, go to the yamaha site. i would not ask more technical questions of the dealers that told you fly by wire has anything to do with torque being transfered to the propeller. good luck, ron

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
I have a 2009 F250b with electronic shifter. No, the clunk is not eliminated, but the noise is much less than with my old Yamaha 4 strokes. Shifts are positive and clean. it's a big upgrade from old mechanical shifters.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ElyseM said:
just a heads up. the "clunk" is reduced via the SDS (shift dampener system) which is part of the prop, not the engine. if you want to look into it, go to the yamaha site. i would not ask more technical questions of the dealers that told you fly by wire has anything to do with torque being transfered to the propeller. good luck, ron

HMBJack

Reaction score
My limited understanding is the newer engines burn just as much fuel.
Yes they are more efficient but the larger 4.2L displacement is an offset to what the 3.3L burns.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is an error in the Trailer Life article. They state that the new F250 requires 89 octane fuel where the older F250B runs on 87 octane. Yamaha recommends 89 octane for both engines. The F250B will run on 87 octane fuel, but the knock sensor degrades the economy and power with the lower octane fuel.

Most people (and boat comparison tests) find that the new engine burns about 10% more fuel than the older F250B. The improved fuel economy that Yamaha talks about is in comparison of the the 300 hp engines, not the 250 hp. Those extra cubic inches need to be feed.

The operational advantage of the new engine is the better hole shot and the smoother shifter. On a flats boat or a bass boat, the extra torque/hole shot can be important. It is not really worth anything if you run offshore. The older F250 performs very will on a 22' Grady, even when you are carrying a heavy load.

If you can get a deal on an F250B, I would go with it.