Yamaha F350 feedback on various boats?

blancokt

Reaction score
Does anyone have an F350 on an Advance 257 or Tournament 27'? I am also interested in hearing from anyone who has twin F350s on the 30' Marlin or Express? How is the performance? Do the engines come completly out of the water when you are at the dock? I am thinking of upgrading in the next couple of years and am interested in how the feedback on the new engine is.

Gone fishing

Reaction score
A member of our local club has a 38 foot CC boat for fishing (11,500 lbs) with twin 350's. He says the engines are great for long runs offshore. He had a Hatteras 54 Sport Fish but he told me this combo with the 350's is far superior.

hatteras.jpg

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I have a 275 Tournament with an F350 that is just finishing its first year in the water. The boat + engine fully loaded and fueled weighs in at around 7,000 lbs as a reference point for performance.

I am very pleased with the engine so far, it has 150 hours on it and not a single issue with the engine or wireless controls. The performance on the 275 with the F350 is about 5% under the published GW numbers. That is at WOT the boat does about 46MPH. At cursing speeds 26-30 mph the boat runs at about 2.2 – 2.3 mpg. I have never approached or even come close to the published maximum fuel rate of 2.39 mpg.

My only complaint about the boat/engine design is that the bullet does not come out of the water as mine is rigged with the center supported stern light, standard configuration with a Bimini top and a very very poor design. The F350 as you may know has a second water pickup in the bullet which on my boat is underwater all of the time. I will haul next weekend for the season and will inspect the passages for blockage and post photos of the results.

In summary the F350 is everything that I expected it to be and I am a very particular PITA.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
While I can't comment on the longevity of the motor, I did have the opportunity to run a Canyon with T-350's on a 40 mile round trip this past weekend- if you don't have fun running those motors you just don't have a pulse! They were awesome coming out of the hole, smooth through the whole RPM range, and the electronic controls were also very nice.

As for putting an F350 on a smaller boat, I could definitely see the benefit as far as not having to run the motor so hard and saving on the wear and tear. ie- the 33 Canyon w/ twin F350's was turning 3800 RPM's at 25 kts, while the 33 Express with twin F250's running next to me was turning 4900 RPM's to keep the same speed!

choogenboom

Reaction score
350 weighs just over 800 pounds. I asked the local yamaha tech that was working at my house today if he had any experience with them. He said very limited as there are only a few hulls that have transoms strong enough to hang the motor on. He said Pursuit had to go to a 6" transom to prevent cracking. At least I will no longer be tempted to put them on my 2004 330 EXpress.

gulfcart

Reaction score
300+ hours..purrrrrs like kitten on my 33Express. Perfect engine for these hulls. 1.1-1.2 mpg @ 30 mph. 16000lb

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I just got the Canyon and when boat in the water the engines are in the water about 2" to 3".

YOU JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER BOAT????

That's two in a year, no?

Just curious... :shock:

gulfcart

Reaction score
1.1 is the norm fully loaded (my wife and I)at 30mph trimmed up and decent seas. When I get low on fuel and water I can push 1.2..

Southern Hunter

Reaction score

Not bad...full fishing load for me however, is 6-7guys, full fuel plus 50 extra, 600lbs of ice, full water, freediving gear, tons of tackle.....we just do it a bit different down here in the GOM...when I say full....I mean loaded to the gills!!

gulfcart

Reaction score
I've had it loaded pretty good. Not 7 guys! I don't know where I would put 'em! But rods, ice (not 600lb!), gear including life raft..full fuel etc. Still able to hold that 1.1 pretty good.

Christos

Reaction score
I ran the 336 Canyon this summer and absolutly loved the twin 350's. I do not have anything to compare it to, as these are my first outboard motors. But I must say Wow... I'm impressed! As previously stated the motors stay in the water about 2 to 3 inches when completely trimmed. They run smooth and never appear to be working hard. I put roughly 100 hrs on them with no problems. Two thumbs up in my opinion!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, i put about four hours Saturday and up to now i'm very impressed. Boat handles real good some nice size seas and the motors are gem.
Like i said, only four hours on them but very happy.

catch22

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Well, i put about four hours Saturday and up to now i'm very impressed. Boat handles real good some nice size seas and the motors are gem.
Like i said, only four hours on them but very happy.

Four hours!... uh oh... time to trade up. :lol: Only kidding of course.

I've heard some people say they are pretty loud. What's your opinion? Any fuel burn numbers?

Christos

Reaction score
No they are far from loud! Very quiet and run smooth through all the RPM ranges. Fuel burn that I have experienced is about 22 to 23 gallons per hour at 3700 RPM or 31 - 32 MPH. (336 with T F350's)

JGH

Reaction score
Fiercealliance said:
the transom on older boats wont take a 350

I believe this is only true for some models. My GW dealer told me, for example, that 257s (my boat) can be re-powered with the 350.

gulfcart

Reaction score
Well, I have bad news..... One of my 350's broke a crank Thursday.... 350hrs, I guess they aren't bullet proof. New powerhead I guess. I'll know Monday. Really sucks...