Yamaha Fuel Management Guage

HBSteve

Reaction score
2005 Yamaha 250s with the round guages. My GPH works sporadically and MPG shows 0.0 continuously. The trip meter also stopped working. All three worked prior. Any ideas on where to begin? All the other guages work fine. Thank You......

J-Sea

Reaction score
I have the same issue on 2005 twin 150 yamaha 4 strokes with circle gauges; mechanic said it could be a clogged tube in the lower unit that reads speed and therefore affects mpg and distance traveled; however I haven't trouble shooted it yet; I haven't had it checked yet because I use the Garmin screens for speed and distance traveled etc

HBSteve

Reaction score
Yes..We just had our engines serviced two weeks ago. We were told the same thing...a small hole in the forward part of the port engine takes in water to calculate speed etc. They said if that clogs. you lose the reading. However, ours was supposedly cleaned and we had no mpg when we left the dock. The gps gives us the info but it drives me crazy to have a guage that doesn't work. I figured I'd try this first before I called the mechanic back or phoned yamaha.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HB Steve. Easy to clean the the hole in your port engine yourself to be sure. Take a drill bit the same size as the hole and spin it by hand, go in as far as the bit allows, that should clean it out. Then check at your gauge (it is a clear tube) to see it your are getting water at the gauge. If still an issue remove tube from gauge and blow air into tube backwards to clear it. Have had to do it a few times as drying salt water can create a crust and debris in the entrance hole. Good luck. Cheers, trapper

seasick

Reaction score
trapper said:
HB Steve. Easy to clean the the hole in your port engine yourself to be sure. Take a drill bit the same size as the hole and spin it by hand, go in as far as the bit allows, that should clean it out. Then check at your gauge (it is a clear tube) to see it your are getting water at the gauge. If still an issue remove tube from gauge and blow air into tube backwards to clear it. Have had to do it a few times as drying salt water can create a crust and debris in the entrance hole. Good luck. Cheers, trapper
be careful blowing air into the tube. If the tube is clear but the actual hole in the LU is plugged, it is possible foe the tube to blow itself off of the connection. In that case, you have to drop the LU to reseat it.

HBSteve

Reaction score
I'll try it this weekend...THANK YOU !