Yamaha Gas Guage Not Working

Graybeard

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
The Yamaha fuel gauge on my F-200 engine stopped working and always shows empty. My Freedom 225 is 5 months old. Is that something covered under my boat/engine warranty that my dealer will fix or replace?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Should be under warranty...time to make an appointment for service....

Shutterbug

Reaction score
Just curious, is it a fuel guage connected to a sending unit at the fuel tank or part of yamaha's engine display center?

Graybeard

Reaction score
It's the standard digital Yamaha gauge set that came with the new boat/engine. Everything else works including the Yamaha version of Flo-Scan except the gas gauge

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Should be a sending unit in the tank that is connected to the Commandlink harness....

devildogdad

Reaction score
did you hit the reset button when you filled up? sounds basic but I have forgotton to do that before

Graybeard

Reaction score
It's the bar graph showing the amount of gas in the tank. All the other functions work. I tried the re-set or al least I think it was the re-set button. In any event the dealer said to ring in in and they would fix the problem while we are on vacation. So it's at the dealer as we speak and I'll know more when they do their initial check

Shutterbug

Reaction score
Just my opinion, if it deals with the sending unit you'll be doing that every 6 mths, but as long as it's covered let them cover it.

Robbinson

Reaction score
same problem on my new 255 - Dealer is going to work on it. My fuel gage has just shown all white bars - occasionally showing available gallons and then reverting to all white bars.

Tell me about the reset though - news to me (do you need to do that on each refill and, if so, how is that accomplished)?

wlewis

Reaction score
Since my Aval gallons doesn't work, I've been researching this issue. Here is my understanding:
The fuel bars and Aval gallons operate independently. The fuel bars operate from the tank sending unit, however, the Aval fuel will show 90% of tank capacity once reset through the menu. To reset, go to Menu, then to Logs, then to trip log. In trip log, reset. Once the trip log is reset, the Aval gallon number should display 90% of your tank capacity, REGARDLESS OF WHAT'S IN THE TANK. That number will decrease as gallons are used. The reset feature should only be used when completely filling the tank.
If this info is incorrect, someone please correct me.
Walter

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well that's not what I did so I didn't re-set the damn thing. But the fuel gauge worked fine when I used it after a recent fill up. But the next time out the gauge showed empty and after I turned the engine off and on the gauge seemed to work. So I thought is was just a system glitch until it flat out stopped working. When I baught the boat the dealer or service staff said anything about having to re-set the gauge after every fill up. maybe I should check the Yamaha owners manual???

wlewis

Reaction score
Graybeard,
The reset is only needed for the "Fuel Aval" digital display, not the fuel bar gauge. Your issue involves the bar gauge and is probably a bad sender in the tank.
Walter

Graybeard

Reaction score
thanks. The dealer still has it while we're on vacation. I'll give them a call on Monday

Spawn Bag

Reaction score
Geaybeard,

Did you ever get this resolved. I have a 226 with the same issue. The gallons used is working fine however the bar graph showing remaining shows empty (no lights lit on bar graph). There is no resetting that. Sounds like im having the same issue.

Thanks

Stonewall

Reaction score
GB - It is covered under the warranty. Sounds to me like there is a loose or corroded ground wire.

optimajon

Reaction score
I have 2010 YAMAHA 250 with the same problem only worse. My speed, hours and tach don't work either. It comes on but nothing seems to work> I called the dealer and they have no idea what it could be,