Yamaha guages

yooperman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Need to remove guage cluster from my 2002 208 Adventure with original yamaha 175 hpdi outboard, in order to send them to be restored. Small guage wire connections are easy, but can anyone tell me what the large black wire into the back of the cluster is, and can it be cut and reconnected later. I'm assuming it is the power and ground wires but would like to be sure since I can't see to trace it down in behind the helm. Thanks in

slipshod

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Need to remove guage cluster from my 2002 208 Adventure with original yamaha 175 hpdi outboard, in order to send them to be restored. Small guage wire connections are easy, but can anyone tell me what the large black wire into the back of the cluster is, and can it be cut and reconnected later. I'm assuming it is the power and ground wires but would like to be sure since I can't see to trace it down in behind the helm. Thanks in
That is a nice boat you have there Dave. wink wink~ Kevin

seasick

Reaction score
Are you sending out just the gauges or the whole panel?
Regardless, the black wire is a ground IF it is an original wire. Otherwise, it could be anything that was added later. The gauges should have all connections on the connector so I don't know exactly what wire you are referring to. You also suggested that the black wire could be ground and power. It isn't both. It may be related to something else on the cluster panel. What else is there beside tach and speedo (digital I assume). I suppose that it might be the common ground for all devices on the panel.
I don't see why it is an issue if you are going to remove the gauges, have them refurbished and then reinstall them.

yooperman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Like Seasick said, all wires should go through the plug. Any chance that it could be the pitot tube for the mechanical speed fron the lower unit pick up?
Thanks guys, I bet it is the 'pitot tube' as you suggested for the mechanical speedometer.