Yamaha hdpi or 4 stroke

jake378

Reaction score
Hello I have been on the hunt to upgrade for two years and haven't pulled the trigger. I keep running into nice boats but with engines that I just don't like. Most of my hesitation comes from reading stuff on forums on engines I am unfamiliar with. So my question today is about yamaha hpdi in the 150 or 200 hp. How are they compared to the four strokes of similar hp? I have a 180 sportsman with f115 and I'm looking to move up to either a adventure or seafarer. I do a lot of trolling and speed isn't a issue. My wife doesn't enjoy smokey two strokes so I'm leaning towards staying with the four stroke if I find one with one. I have read that the hpdi doesn't smoke much and is farely quiet. So anyone out there who has had one or both to give me some first hand info? Also what is a good price for a used adventure used about ten years or so old? I'm in massachusetts .I have looked at about 6 adventures over the last year in my price range 18k and I find problems like leaking windows ,cracked(hair line) transom, block of ice in bilge. All in the 16k asking price and late 90's age with two strokes. Any help or opinions would be great . Thanks

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First, there is nothing wrong with the HDPI. Pretty bullet proof. I have a 2004 Adventure with a F200 four stroke. Never a problem with the engine or the boat. Wife enjoys it, comfortable and fairly quiet. Do some fishing but mostly just spend a day on the water. Wait a month or so and more boats will come on the market in your price range. Don't be afraid to find one that you like far away. You can have it shipped. Bouth mine in NJ hand towed it to SC. with a larger boat, you might want a kicker for trolling. F200 trolls too fast even at just above idle. Good luck with your search!

jake378

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That is great to know about troll speed. I do plan on getting a kicker for trolling since I spend most of the time trolling for stripers. I have read good things about the hpdi but have no experience with it. I do have my four stroke and love it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 150, 175 and 200 HPDI are great motors and I wouldn't hesitate to look at a boat powered with one of them.

The 250 and 300 HPDI however, are a completely different story.

I had a 180 with a 150 Saltwater Series....was the perfect motor for the boat. Cruise low 30s at 4000 rpm or so....wide open was 45 mph. Very stingy on gas and I would imagine that an HPDI would be even more fuel efficient.

Good luck with your search.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi - I have had a 200 HP HPDI and Now F225 Four strokes. The HPDI was an amazing engine for my 1985 Seafarer ( Repower). The HPDI was fuel efficient, virtually smokeless, quit and very fast out of the hole. Overall a very reliable engine. As previous posters noted keep away from the 300 HPDI as they had a long history of problems. My current engines are 4 strokes and they are great engines all around too. The deciding factor for me with the purchase of the HPDI was the weight and torque of the 4 strokes. My Seafarer as a 1985 and the dealer told me the stern just could not handle the added weight and torque of the new 4 strokes. Either way the 4 stroke or HPDI the engine technology has come a log way from the old smoky 2 strokes. Good Luck

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Seafarer 228 with a 2000 Yamaha HPDI 200hp. I am well pleased with the motor. It smokes for just a few seconds on startup, but then I don't see any smoke from there on out. It has given me great service, but just make sure you keep clean fuel in it. I would honestly say that the motor is probably the minimum horsepower for the boat, but I don't care about going real fast, and the hole shot maybe isn't the greatest, but I'm OK with it. Like others have said, the larger HPDI motors (250-300hp) have had some problems, but the smaller block 175-200 motors are pretty good. There is a lot of info on this board and on The Hull Truth board, so I would spend a little time reading up.

SwampGrizz

suzukidave

Reaction score
just to complete the discussion of the hpdi range the 225 hpdi is also a fine motor.

a clean hpdi up to a 225 in good order has good resale value.

jake378

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on a adventure with a 150 hp? I have read a lot of threads and some say it's fine and some say way under powered. So if anyone has had an adventure with a 150,let me know how it was. My 18 sportman has a f 115 and it does fine but I think a 150 would be perfect. Thats why I wonder if the 150 would be "fine" but a 175 or 200 would be perfect for the adventure. Thanks for any information.

ric2352

Reaction score
I have the new F 200 on my 208.......frigging awesome fine power in all ranges and great fuel economy. The old 175 2 stroke might have been slightly better out of the hole, but I don't care about that aspect. I have doubled my range with the F200. Wether you know it or not, the HPDI is a very complex engine with numerous fuel pumps and numerous other things that can go wrong with just dirty fuel. While they have proven great engines, it's still a 2 stroke. The F200 is light weight, efficient and the latest technology.....why won't you go with it? We can't buy HPDI's here on the left coast, not that I would have.

jake378

Reaction score
Hey ric2352 did you repower an older hull with the f200? I have my eye on a 1997 with 175 saltwater series 2. You mentioned having the 175 and having more range with the 200. I'm sure the four stroke is much better on the gas. If you did a repower did the weight of the f200 affect anything or change how the boat sits compared to the 175? Thanks

suzukidave

Reaction score
jake, if you want a 150 on a sportsman you will likely want a 200 on an adventure.

a smaller engine will save you fuel if you are ok to cruise a little slower to hit the engine's sweet spot.

jake378

Reaction score
Suzukidave I feel like if I got the adventure with 150 id be in the "same boat" haha. Meaning same performance. Not bad but not perfect. Honestly I change my mind on what I want all the time so this next boat isn't my keeper but I will have it for a few years. My 180 is a great boat and gets me to my spots fine with the f115. I mostly fish solo or with tops two other guys besides taking my kids and wife out. When its just me the wife and kids we arent speeding around anyway. So I wouldn't shy away from a 150 if the package and price worked out. If I can find something with the 200 I would gladly grab it if its in my spending limit. I am looking for the better power option if I find it.

ric2352

Reaction score
jake378 said:
Hey ric2352 did you repower an older hull with the f200? I have my eye on a 1997 with 175 saltwater series 2. You mentioned having the 175 and having more range with the 200. I'm sure the four stroke is much better on the gas. If you did a repower did the weight of the f200 affect anything or change how the boat sits compared to the 175? Thanks
Repowered a 95 208 SeaV2. Only 50 or 60 lbs. heavier, so no effect on how it sits. I've had 2 of the 175's.....after many hours, they almost always have a bad wrist pin bearing, #1 cylinder....have it checked before you jump.

suzukidave

Reaction score
jake378 said:
Suzukidave I feel like if I got the adventure with 150 id be in the "same boat" haha. Meaning same performance. Not bad but not perfect. Honestly I change my mind on what I want all the time so this next boat isn't my keeper but I will have it for a few years. My 180 is a great boat and gets me to my spots fine with the f115. I mostly fish solo or with tops two other guys besides taking my kids and wife out. When its just me the wife and kids we arent speeding around anyway. So I wouldn't shy away from a 150 if the package and price worked out. If I can find something with the 200 I would gladly grab it if its in my spending limit. I am looking for the better power option if I find it.

the other consideration is being able to sell. a smaller motor does discourage buyers and get the sharks circling.

the only time i feel my 190 is underpowered is when i have the bow loaded with 18 year olds or i am cruising with another boat with more top end. even with a skier there are no issues. however, when i put it up for sale a couple of years ago i heard a lot about how it was underpowered from people who had never ridden in the boat. if i stuck a 150 decal on the cowl they'd have no idea.