Yamaha height on a 228

trashpad

Reaction score

Here is a link with a few photos and one video. Running about 26MPH. I think the motor is too low. It is in the lowest hole on the bracket. What do you guys say?

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought my 228 Seafarer back in December without power and the horns on the pod for the upper bolts were broken from an impact. I bought a used ultra long leg Suzuki and began to fabricate a bracket to bolt onto the pod after I removed the horns flush to the top of the pod. I was told from many sources that the cavitation plate on the outboard should be 1 to 1 1/2 inches higher than the keel for every 12 inches that the motor is mounted behind the transom. I do get water hitting the leg and spraying sideways but only before I start to trim the motor up then it’s smooth running as if the motor was mounted on the transom, hope this, helps

trashpad

Reaction score
Hello Don,

Yes it does. I am pulling the boat next week and will take a measurement to see. Even with the motor trimmed up it looks like there is the spray from the plate a bit to low. I am looking at a different prop and read that others say to fix the hight of the motor first then look at changing the prop.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello Don,

Yes it does. I am pulling the boat next week and will take a measurement to see. Even with the motor trimmed up it looks like there is the spray from the plate a bit to low. I am looking at a different prop and read that others say to fix the hight of the motor first then look at changing the prop.
Height has to be correct before propping. The height formula stated above is correct. No bracket, cavitation plate is 1/2 inch above Bottom of drain plug. Every 12 inches of setback , 1 inch is added to the height. Each hole on the engine height equals 3/4 inch of lift.