Yamaha Helm Master Ex Joystick instructions needed

quantase

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had the joystick installed on my vessel. But it didn't come with any instructions. Does anyone know if the outboard is in neutral idling, should you be able to move the outboard back and forth just like you are able to do with the wheel? On the joystick, it does have a button that states "joystick", but when I press it, a blue light blinks a couple of times and then goes out. Will the joystick only work at a minimum speed? Just want to check to make sure it is going to work. Thanks.

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Does not look like you got many answers to your questions. I have Helmmaster with the joystick on my Freedom 235. If the engine is in neutral and you move the joystick forward the motor will go out of neutral and the boat will move forward. If you move it back the boat will go backward. If you have a single engine, side moves of the joystick will just move the motor and not take it out of neutral. You can increase the speed of the motor by pushing the + and - keys on the right side of the joystick. I believe that the blue light should stay on. You might have a problem. The engine does need to be in neutral to activate the system. Check helmmaster videos on you tube for more info.

seasick

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had the joystick installed on my vessel. But it didn't come with any instructions. Does anyone know if the outboard is in neutral idling, should you be able to move the outboard back and forth just like you are able to do with the wheel? On the joystick, it does have a button that states "joystick", but when I press it, a blue light blinks a couple of times and then goes out. Will the joystick only work at a minimum speed? Just want to check to make sure it is going to work. Thanks.
Can't you ask whoever installed the system for instructions??

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not sure if you made any more progress on this, but there are a lot of good youtube videos from Yamaha on the helmmaster system that are better than the manuals. Also, to engage the joystick, engines must be in neutral, otherwise the light will blink and go out. Once engaged, forward and reverse does work. I only use the joystick for docking and occasionally when retrieving crab pots. I do use the heading hold when running to a location and the fishing features. Again, joystick itself will not engage unless you are in neutral.