Yamaha Helm Master

capeguy

Reaction score
Looking at Canyon 306s and i have a narrow slip which with wind/current makes it hard to get in without losing control of the bow. I was looking at models with bow thrusters, but a friend suggested getting Helm master instead. Anyone have this on a 30' boat instead of a thruster? anyone use both and compare? Can Helmmaster be installed on a boat that didn't have it originally as a thruster can be added later? Any idea of cost?

Obviously Helmmaster adds lots of other features that a thruster doesn't, but am primarily interested in docking ability and bow control in the wind/current.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if you go to seedealercost, looks like it adds around $15K for helm master. i have never used the system. i do use a bow thruster and can tell you that it adds tons of control. i don't know what they use now, but the new sidepower thrusters are proportional so you significantly reduce the time out affect.

someone commented to me that they didn't feel the helm master reacted quickly enough. can't speak to that. helm master is the yamaha version of Seastar Optimus 360. i do not know if/what the differences are. good luck, ron

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have helmaster on a marlin. It is useful under calm, lower current conditions. If you are focused on docking go for the bow thruster.
The added cost and complexity of the HM is not worth it for docking.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The guy in the slip next to me has the Mercury equivalent of the helm master and one thing is for sure: it kicks up a crazy amount of prop thrust all over the place when he docks. Really jostles the floating finger piers. But the sky hook feature that automatically holds your position over a wreck or whatever is pretty cool...

Jargon

Reaction score
Last edited:

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Get the boat with a bow thruster. Then learn how to handle it without, BEFORE you start using the thruster. Then you will have some skills to fall back on if/when the thruster trips its circuit breaker or otherwise is unavailable.

The HM, and similar systems, are nice uses of technology. But they use far too much throttle, instead of the fine hand of a good skipper, and may leave the user helpless - or worse - when something doesn’t work right or fails during operation.

JMHO, but I’ve been driving boats, and ships, for about six decades.

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600 Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited
Commander, USN (Ret)
US Navy Senior Offshore Sailing Skipper

Reactions: PrinceofThieves