Yamaha low oil warning

jk

New boat owner with a 1988 Yamaha excel 225hp (new powerhead last year, been running great). I noticed heading out today that my guage had a flashing symbol over the red circle. Previous owner told me that meant high temp (which I now understand was wrong, it's for the oil level), but thermo guage was fine. Kept running for probably an hour. On way back, boat on plane running great, then all of a sudden rpm went from 4400 to 0. Could not get started again. Checked oil tank, still had some in but it was very low. Filled it up and checked tank on engine which was full. Could not get boat to start again. It would turn, but not start. BTW - had been having battery issues prior, they were not holding their charge and had been running on BOTH. Don't think this has anything to do with first problem, but it also seemed like I did not have enough charge after trying to restart a number of times.

Did I do major damage and run the engine low on oil? There was never an audible alarm either. Feel like an idiot for not knowing the red circle was low oil. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
I thought that the engine should have gone to roughly 2K RPMs when the low oil light comes on. Red lights on gauges are never good, if the motor ran the oil all the way down, it might be dead.

Why did you get a new powerhead last year? Did the engine blow or just wear out?

jk

Grog
I don't know whether it stopped at 2k rpm as I put it in Neutral as it deccelerated. I feel the same way about the red light indicator, but trying to remain hopeful at the fact that there was still some oil in the reserve tank and there were no unusual engine sounds when it happened, just a smooth quick decceleration.
I would have expected some sort of audible alarm in this situation, am I wrong?

Head replacement done by previous owner, not sure as to why. Engine had been running great up to this point.
Thanks

enfish

If there was still oil in the tank underneath the engine cowling, then you didn't starve the engine of oil. Assuming everything is working correctly, you'll get an audible alarm and the RPM will be limited to 2000 when the oil tank under the cowling gets below the 50% full level. I'm guessing the reason it stalled and wouldn't start is a fuel or electrical problem, not oil.

jk

Update - Charged both batteries (were extremely low) and motor fired up. Idled rougher than before the shutdown, but it ran. So I assume that the decrease in rpm was the automatic shutdown due to the low oil level, then compounded by the lack of battery charge. Let's just say a good learning experience.

Is the rough idle a result of sucking up the bottom of the oil, in which case what is the recommendation to resolve?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
If you think you ran the oil to low and there may be air in the line, run the motor(s) from a portable tank that is pre-mixed with oil.

jk

I was wondering if air in the line could be cause.

Sorry, could you give me a little more info on steps how to run on portable tank to get air out. I appreciate your help.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
As long as there was oil in the engine tank there shouldnt be air in the line. Just quick info how the oil system works

There is a float in the small tank on the engine. If you look at the tank there are 2 marks.. High level and a low level. When the level falls below the top level the float activates the oil pump thats mounted in the boat tank and fills the small tank on the engine. If for some reason the oil reaches the lower mark the horn will sound but there will still be enough oil so not to cause damage. I wouldnt worry if there is a little air in the line from the big tank to the little tank because gravity from the little tank is still feeding the main oil pump on the engine.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's