Yamaha motor availability

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For those of you like myself, either in the middle of a repower or considering one, motor availability is now looking like July-August timeframe. The Rona, parts supply, employee absenteeism, shipping, I guess all play a part in this. It's frustrating for sure on my part, been wanting to repower for awhile now, and able to go forward with it and now I can't get a motor. A bright part in this is, pretty sure I'll be getting the new cowling and exhaust change on my new motor. I was supposed to get a motor in February-March time and wasn't sure if it would be the old style or new style. Being this far into the year now, pretty certain it'll be the new style. Oh well, hopefully it will come in then. At least I'll be ready to fish the fall season with a new motor.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just finished a repower. Each prospective Yamaha vendor I talked to said supply was tight. Make sure your vendor locks in the extended warranty for you if you have put down a deposit. Yamaha seems to offer the additional warranty several times a year, but you should get it now if you put down a deposit on a new motor.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I got twin Yamahas a few years ago and the port engine was back ordered 3 months. The dealer was able to get the extended warranty but it was not automatic he had to do some follow-up with Yamaha. Good tip as I just assumed rhe warranty would be retro-active.
At the time Saltwater series props were also back ordered so you may want to check that too!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice to be in the engine business now. They have all the leverage.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, I have an extended warranty in play right now in my name on my new, yet to arrive, motor.

Also, some clarification on the arrival times. I just spoke with my dealer and Yamaha is telling them that the orders placed late last year, September-November are still scheduled to arrive in April-May. The new orders, January- February , will be the July-August arrival time. We'll see how this all plays out as we go forward.

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What engine is on your boat now? What are you replacing it with?

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had one of my two 18 year old 225"s go out on me. Decided to repower to 250's. I got the last two in SoCal. I was lucky - projected wait is now 3 months!

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some of the first new style motors are starting to show up. These are the ones with the integrated steering. The regular hydraulic steering, FBW motors, are still supposed to show beginning in April. This is a dealer in Northern Ohio on Lake Erie.

IMG_2140.JPG

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well,,, an update on new Yamaha's. They have now pushed availability to the end of the year with a maybe thrown in, for my repower. :mad::mad::mad:

Fishtales

Reaction score
That sux. Not much you can do except maximize the throw-in. Lucky you didn't really need it for the season.

ocdansar

Reaction score
Yeah stupid me sold my old 225’s and let the Yamaha dealer drag me out for 6 months then send my brother over who is there tech to tell me I’m out of luck. I understand supply issues but damn they had my 42 grand for 6 months and can’t even pick up the phone and call me !!!
Rant over

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’ll be honest. Get a Suzuki. I’ve had both yams and Suzuki and neither has let me down. I work them hard also.