Yamaha new outboard

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Just got an Email from Yamaha, 1/17/2024 they are releasing a new outboard. No details but said to look on Facebook on 17th to see the unavailing? May be old new but I thought I would pass it on.

Coastboater

Reaction score
New F350 from what I’ve read, but maybe not a V8. Wonder if they’re turbo/supercharging the 4.2l..

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
It will be most likely the new F350 as there is a gap in Yamahas line.
Check in THT, there members are already hyperventilating and one Member there wrote that GW offers him the new F350 on his new build.
Chris

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm guessing a new Hydrogen-Powered outboard o_O

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
But + 2 cylinders
The original F350 was a very nice and midrange economic engine, when she ran fine what most did not...

A pimped F300 may work to squeeze your 350 hp but it will put Yamaha near Mercury with less displacement but advanced pimping.
And that is not what I like. Eliminating the problems the F350 had would put the new F350 near the Honda BF350 and thats the ticket to go, particularly on a heavy GW.
However just a few days left to discover what Yamaha Engineers created and some years to see if it holds up better than it's predecessor.
Chris

seasick

Reaction score
I hear that Ford is announcing a new and improved Edsel:)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks like I was half right with v6 guess, but wrong on the DI.
EFI and combustion science has improved since the 1st f300. Looks like Yamaha went conservative with the new design. Considering it isn't vastly different than the f300, it should be a winner in a lot of categories.
The THT crowd already has the pitch forks and torches out! Tough crowd.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’m underwhelmed by the fact it’s not a v8 as I think a lightweight small displacement 8 cylinder provides a ton of grunt and good economy in this siclass …
but the f300 is pretty legendary and if this new engine is similar, then it will make a lot of 330 express owners happy when it’s repower time….people who want to stick with Yamaha. They had to fill that hole in their lineup.

Don’t take this as a yam vs merc debate. thats as useful as trying to decide whose farts smell better.

Reactions: Chutch

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Honestly I am a bit disappointed about Yamahas decision to pimp the F300 with some modifications and 0.1L more displacement.
Yes the F300 will run a bigger GW just fine, but confronting fuel efficiency between the F300 and the old F350 show clearly that the old F350 has a way better fuel efficiency @ °/- 28 knots than the F300 and the reason for that is most likely the V8 and not (only) the HP.
Soon we will see how the new F350 behaves but I am sure that the Honda BF350 is the ticket for a silent, low rpm, low speed planing and much more fuel efficient outboard for heavier boats as GW are.
However, GW sell only Yamaha so the Honda would not be a option for a new GW but for a repower the Honda would be the better choice if continuous high/er speed operation is not desired.
The only problem is that the price difference between twin Suzuki DF300 and twin BF350 is around 18K and thats a lot of $$$.
Chris

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I'm really hoping they trim a few more pounds off the F200, which is currently about 40lbs more than my 30 year old 175 two stroke once you offset for integrated steering.

seasick

Reaction score
I read the press releases and had a laugh at the new feature of a longer injector pulse. The pulse width determines how much gas is injected per compression stroke. So are they saying that the power is greater because they used more gas? Maybe I missed the point of that spec.
In any case, the NY boat show is coming up and hopefully, there will be better details available.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm honestly shocked that it took them this long to come out with an F350 as it's been years since they discontinued the last version and the next largest outboard that they offer after that is the F425. I guess the F350 works if you needed one or two, but definitely not something that I'll ever need for my current boat or for those with smaller sized boats. And I agree on the above weight comment, it would be nice if the other manufacturers could figure out a way to lower down the weights and be closer to what Mercury offers in that regard.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Since Yamaha innovates at the speed of an 80s grocery getter, I wonder if they targeted the performance of the blown Merc inline 6s with this new engine and got caught with their pants down when the v10 launched? This 350 V6 probably isn't too far off from the old Verados, but is left holding the bag to a modern v10 with another 1400cc of displacement. Yamaha makes some amazing high performance 4 strokes in the motorcycle world, but 1400cc is a big gap to overcome for an N/A engine.
Regardless it will sell in absurd quantities and Garner a cult following because it'll have a tuing fork on the cowl and be nearly bulletproof.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Since Yamaha innovates at the speed of an 80s grocery getter, I wonder if they targeted the performance of the blown Merc inline 6s with this new engine and got caught with their pants down when the v10 launched? This 350 V6 probably isn't too far off from the old Verados, but is left holding the bag to a modern v10 with another 1400cc of displacement. Yamaha makes some amazing high performance 4 strokes in the motorcycle world, but 1400cc is a big gap to overcome for an N/A engine.
Regardless it will sell in absurd quantities and Garner a cult following because it'll have a tuing fork on the cowl and be nearly bulletproof.
That is what I thought, that Yamaha is trying to jump on the Mercury Folks Bandwagon and having a light 350 for multi engine installations on smaller CC's who not require the XTO's. I am sure Yamaha didi some research what the brands who sell only Yamaha would like to have and that their response was a light and less wide outboard what makes life easier for them.

I think Yamaha was also caught with their pants down by Honda who presented just a few month ago a engine what fills the 350HP V8 gap and this engine is the perfect replacement for a V8 F350.

Chris