Yamaha NMEA 2000 Engine Info

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Installed the NMEA 2000 cables on my F150's and hooked the up to the Garmin 4210. Now I have digital temp, oil pressue and battery information in addition to the alarms.

Garmin and Raytheon can display the engine information on certain units. I'm sure others can do so as well.
I'm posting this for the others that might be thinking about doing the same thing. OCNSLR (Brian) was a big help with this.

NMEA%20Gauges.jpg

I'm not sure if all four stroke Yamaha's or just the ones starting in '06 have the Command Link/NMEA 2000 capability.

Lowrance makes a harness that will connect a Yamaha engine to a standard NMEA 2000 network. Lowrance 120-37 NMEA 2000 Yamaha Engine Interface from Blue Heron Marine @$48.95. I cut the cable 3 feet before the NMEA connector, pulled it from the engine and spliced it back together.

If you have Command Link gauges I believe you need a different cable.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very cool.
Maybe I'll sell my house and upgrade my three year old elecronics. I have not seen a outboard powered Yamaha boat with the NEMA 2000 output connected to the engines. Looks great, maybe we could just live on the boat. :)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yamaha Engine Interface

I wouldn't upgrade the electronics just to get this feature.

If you have the display capability already you can do this for "free" in the grand scheme of boating. Besides - you can't fish from a house!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Garmin 545S

The Garmin 545S doesn't have the capability. NMEA 2000 support only on the 4000 and 5000 series.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Wow I wish I could do that to my engines!! I have never liked the fact that all I can see are RPMs.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
NMEA 2000

Found another interesting feature on the Garmin NMEA 2000 engine interface. In addition to engine data the unit will manage fuel to create a fuel gauge.

The unit monitors and displays the fuel burn info from the engines. It also has screens that allow you to add fuel to the boat and to set total fuel. It then calculates the fuel gauge.

It only manages total fuel as one tank so you have to deal with the details of a main and aux tank.

bigfish1229

Reaction score
jusr did the same thing with a lowrance colorgraph i bought, damn cool feature

Gradylure

Reaction score
Garmin yamaha / nema

Hey Hooked, I want to do the exact same thing on my boat. I have an 06 F250 and a garmin 4208. Thanks for sharing the lowrance cable part#. Where on the motor does it plug it? Do you have to buy an adaptor as well?

Thanks for walking me through this process.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have this feature on my two 4210's with the Yamaha 250-4 strokes. It is almost a necessity if you raise the electronics box all the way up. In the full upright position, you cannot see the yahama gauges.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Yamaha fuel totalizer is "right on" with the amount of fuel being burned.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: Garmin yamaha / nema

Gradylure said:
Where on the motor does it plug it? Do you have to buy an adaptor as well?

On the F150s the connectors were down at the bottom of the casing, in front of the powerhead. A small, square connector that is stuck into a mounted dead-end holder, just to keep it safe. You have to get it out of that holder so you can connect the engine end of the Lowrance/Yamaha interface cable. Only had two wires going to a four-pin connector.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Re: Garmin yamaha / nema

ocnslr said:
Gradylure said:
Where on the motor does it plug it? Do you have to buy an adaptor as well?

On the F150s the connectors were down at the bottom of the casing, in front of the powerhead. A small, square connector that is stuck into a mounted dead-end holder, just to keep it safe. You have to get it out of that holder so you can connect the engine end of the Lowrance/Yamaha interface cable. Only had two wires going to a four-pin connector.

Exactly that way on my 2005 F150's. Look for the white connector with the blue and white wires. Getting the data for GPH and fuel tankage made my day.
DSC01856.jpg

Gradylure

Reaction score
nema

I ordered the lowrance cable with red tip, and tbone. Will that plug into my garmin backbone or do I have to cut the red tip off ans splice or buy another adapter? Just curious why you cut and spliced yours.

Been reading about a maretron interface also, but the lowrance cable is on the way. Thanks

Gradylure

Reaction score
Got mine set up and it works great. The lowerance cable came with a t fitting and plugged right into my network.

The only thing not working is the trim. It shows 100 percent if the motor is up or down.

Bought the cable at cabellas for around 45 dollars. Wish I had done it sooner. Just orderd the vision card. Going to hook up the xm weather/ radio next weekend and boat will be set.

Thanks for the help.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hookup, isn't your GPS antenna already connected to NEMA 2000 port on Garmin, as is the case now with my 4208?

Or am I mixing up the yellow cable and those T connectors that look like plumbing fittings, and that is the 2000 bus ?

jethro99

Reaction score
Gradylure said:
The only thing not working is the trim. It shows 100 percent if the motor is up or down.

Connect the two single pink wires with the white nylon connector at the end of each (one is female and the other is male).