Yamaha Oil tank bracket replacement 232 gulfstream

outnabout

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the metal brackets that hold the yamaha oil tanks on 232 gulf stream.
Metal brackets completely rusted out
Is there a plastic replacement?

seasick

Reaction score
No plastic that I know of. 130 bucks or so for the pan and 45 or so for the top bracket.
Save the bolt:)

outnabout

Reaction score
Thats insane $350 to replace both brackets & pans . There is goty to be a better way
Will any of the battery box tray types work?

seabob4

Reaction score
How does this one look?
DSCF0744.jpg

Familiar? :(

seasick

Reaction score
Mine was pretty coroded also , perhaps not as bad as yours. I scrapped all the loose stuff, primed it with rustolium and painted it. I figure I will get a few more seasons out of it. One thing I did when reinstalling was to place four small cubes of dry core foam under the pan so that it sits a bit above the floor.

outnabout

Reaction score
Actualy found stainless ones on Ebay for $199 to add to the insanity. I am going to check and see how much a sheet metal guy will charge to duplicate
May go with aluminum diamond plate

seasick

Reaction score
outnabout said:
Actualy found stainless ones on Ebay for $199 to add to the insanity. I am going to check and see how much a sheet metal guy will charge to duplicate
The oem bracket is formed to fit indents in the tank and is a pretty tight fit so make sure your fabricator knows what they are dealing with.

seasick

Reaction score
outnabout said:
The oem bracket is formed to fit indents in the tank and is a pretty tight fit so make sure your fabricator knows what they are dealing with.

outnabout

Reaction score
I am going to take the old one out and hope to get an accurate match

grady23

Reaction score
Check out EBAY or Craig's List -- There's always someone up-grading to a 4-stroke that is looking to get rid of the old brackets.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
I was able to scrape/Rustoleum the bottom piece but had to fabricate the top cross/hold down piece out of some stock aluminum I got at Home Depot. So far, so good...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yamaha has some nerve selling these at such a price considering the polyethylene oil tank will last foreever.

There is only two reasons to need one, when installing a new tank (BRACKET COMES WITH IT) and replacing one from rust.

At the most each should be 35 bucks and include the top piece.

Beat them at their own game, make your own box as I suggested in another post or use a battery box as above, Just keep the tank from sliding around in box. Add some shims of starboard, anything. No need for top on box. If you want a strap over top (don't really need one), buy a cheap life jackert oin sale and rip off the strap.

There is absolutely no reason a box will not work, don't need the crazy formed bracket. The formed bracket allows one to readily check oil level visually, but it's easy enough to add a vertical slot in box on two sides across from each other and use a 3 buck Home Dept LED flashlite shining thru from one side to see level on the other side. Or just stand the lite on top pointing down, works well enough.

As a tip, I fully caulked my original bracket to the floor to keep out water underneath, so far so good, 5 yrs no rust (to speak of) yet, and the tanks are in the bilge.

gw204

Reaction score
Artec,

That looks great. I imagine those are going to sell like crazy. :)

If I may, I'd like to suggest a slight change to them though. Instead of using the nylock nut, weld a standard nut to the bottom of the lip and use a lock washer under the bolt head like Yamaha does. These trays are often installed in nearly impossible to reach spots so it may be very difficult for someone to hold that nut in place and then get a wrench on it. Just my $.02. :)

Artec

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Our prototype builder suggested the same so......

We've added the option to choose either the nylon locking nut or a TIG welded nut and lock washer. The extra labor of TIG welding involved is the only real cost so it raises the price a bit but is far cheaper than having a local welding shop do it.

http://artecindustries.3dcartstores.com ... p_119.html