Yamaha Owners Manual vs. Service Manual?

merlin25

Reaction score
I recently purchased a GW 226 with a 2005 200 HPDI but a Yamaha Owners Manual didn't come with it. On the Yamaha website you can buy the Owners Manual for $20 or the Service Manual for $93. I plan to do my own basic maintenance and winterization. Is it better to have both manuals? or do I only need the Owners Manual? Would there be anything useful to me in the Service Manual or do I only need that if I am taking apart the engine?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The owners manual will contain some useful information but the service manual is a necessity if your going to be doing your own maintenance and repairs. Its the best investment you can make for that use.

Check with Andy at Shipyard Island Marine for pricing on the service manual. I believe I paid about $65 for my OX66 manual. His telephone number is 920-847-2533 and their website is http://www.shipyardisland.com/index.htm.

merlin25

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you recommend getting both or does the Service Manual cover everything in the Owners Manual?

seasick

Reaction score
The Owners manual is handy for operational info and should be on hand on the vessel. It has info on failure modes, workarounds and alarms. To be honest, I just can't remember what some 'alarms' are on my digital gauges.

The service manual is handy also, especially for other than routine maintenance. There are folks on EBay they sell CDs and DVDSs with copies of the manuals. They are not as good as having the printer book but they are a good deal for the casual mechanic. A disk with a whole slew of service manuals often cost less than 10 bucks

freddy063

Reaction score
If you can get a rigging manual that have a lot of good information in it allso.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Depending on how handy you are, I would call Andy at Shipyard and get a quote on both the owner's manual and the service manual. He likely has the other manuals available as well; including rigging, wiring, etc.

I have most if not all of them for my engnes and each one has helped me at one time.

merlin25

Reaction score
I had seen the PDF of the manual (protected from printing), but wanted something in paper that I could flip through or have at the boat. Thanks.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Print it and bind it. If if gets wet, reprint.

Bokat

Reaction score
If you can find a manual you can print, use a laser printer so the ink won't run. Ink from an inkjet printer won't stand up to moisture...sweat or water.

merlin25

Reaction score
The version Yamaha offers has some sort of protection on it that prevents it from being printed.

There is software for $20 that allows you to print unprintable PDFs but that is the cost of the paper copy from Yamaha.

I can do a screen capture on each page and print that way, but I think I would rather pay the $20 rather then screen capture 80 pages.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Owners' Manual vs Service Manual

You really need both if you plan on doing your own maintenance - the owners' manual should stay on board for questions that may come up during interesting (or should I say embarrassing?) "situations" .