yamaha ox66 1997 spittin at iddle

Reaction score
hello i own a 272 sailfish with 2/225 OX 66 Saltwater series engines, they run great and am mechanicaly inclined to handle plugs, lower unit oil. waterpumps, thermostast and now am wonder why sometimes at idle 1 engine seems to spit/cough/? lower fuel pumps or my o2 sensor, i always use ring free and stabilize with marine gradestuff i also noticed 1 engine is burning more oil the the other by a few qts
anysugesstions
Peter

seasick

Reaction score
Spitting/cough could and often is low pressure pumps.
The oil usage difference could be a few things. You need to determine if one motor is using too much oil or if one is using too little. Either way, the first thing to look at is the oil pump adjustment. That regulates the oil/gas ratio.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Peter - Mine was spitting, particularly on start-up, and an occasional hiccup. I have same engine, but just one....I replaced the low fuel pumps,there are 3 of them. I've been running mine this fishing season and it doesn't spit anymore. Source of parts, again, is Andy at Shipyard Island Marina in Wisconsin. He knows all throw-away parts you will need. Then engine runs so much smoother now. It's not a hard job, you have to loosen (DO NOT REMOVE IT) the vapor separator tank. But loosen it up alot so you can get to the bolts that hold the upper LP fuel pump. Suggest getting some 1/4" drive sockets and a 6" extension. The smaller sockets can get in to tighter places. Difficulty level is on par with the poppet valve replacement, except you have 3 of them. Hope this helps.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
If you are talking about it spitting water, it may be a stuck or sticky poppet valve. The poppet valve sits in between the V towards to bottom of the motor. There is a spring loaded valve that will cause water to spit out at idle when it is not operating correctly.

gw204

Reaction score
If you have never done the low pressure fuel pumps, it's time. As stated, get in touch with Andy and he'll hook you up with the parts you need. Took me about an hour to do all 6 pumps on my old 225 OX66s. Also ask him for the procedure for adjusting the oil pumps (it's super easy) and see if he is still loaning out the TPS test harnesses. If so, have him send you one along with the procedure for adjusting your TPS. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a snyc and link as well as set the idle speed. He can send the procedures for those as well.

I've done all of the above on either a 225 of 200 OX66. If you can change plugs, you can do this stuff too.

You may also want to consider pulling the injectors off and sending them to Brucato for cleaning during the offseason.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DaleH said:
Carb adjustment only ... do NOT throw parts at it!

OX-66's have fuel injection.

When my low pressure pumps went bad I lost power but it would idle fine.