Yamaha OX66 help needed

mronzo

Reaction score
If the pump on the main 2 stroke oil tank under the deck is on it's way out
the toggle switch will only work for a limited time and will fill the on engine tank slower and slower each time you use it!(then it dies)
Time to remove deck plates to get to the tank. The bad news is that the pump is on the side of the tank against the hull of the boat
so you must remove the tank,a moderate PIA. It will be a rusted POS.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
I was in there last week end I would guess the oil pump might be dying sence it takes a good ten minutes for the res to fill (just getting weaker and weaker) and prevous owner had same problem. It has gone to a marina,(Yamaha certified) going to get her on thurs. I am leaving on fri to englewood fl. Fish reports look good, weather looks good,boat hummmm.. They do not know what is wrong with it yet :hmm ,going to run it tomorrow and do tests on electrical system. Thinking about canning alarms. I will post what they think at the marina

seasick

Reaction score
GreatWhite23 said:
I was in there last week end I would guess the oil pump might be dying sence it takes a good ten minutes for the res to fill (just getting weaker and weaker) and prevous owner had same problem. It has gone to a marina,(Yamaha certified) going to get her on thurs. I am leaving on fri to englewood fl. Fish reports look good, weather looks good,boat hummmm.. They do not know what is wrong with it yet :hmm ,going to run it tomorrow and do tests on electrical system. Thinking about canning alarms. I will post what they think at the marina
The pump may be bad but it is more likely that the in-line strainer is plugged or there is sludge on the bottom of the tank.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Well gents here is the skinny on what has been replaced, lower unit came off with great effort(welding required) water pump replaced, thermostats, pop up valves, fuel pumps, both oil tank sensors and filters, o2 sensor cleaned, fuse box, tomorrow she will be ran voltage tested and pressure test. What was the prob still to be determined. Most of the stuff is maintenance on eleven year old motors

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Well she is up and running after a lot of new parts. No real issues other than the stardboard motor wants to flood out after being tilted up overnight. Thanksgiving week was rough in the gulf to rough for the family to go more than three miles out. Caught a lot of good size spanish followed with sharks and barracuda. Left the boat in storage in FL good excuse to take a trip in Feb. Thanks again for all your help

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Well she is up and running after a lot of new parts. No real issues other than the stardboard motor wants to flood out after being tilted up overnight. Thanksgiving week was rough in the gulf to rough for the family to go more than three miles out. Caught a lot of good size spanish followed with sharks and barracuda. Left the boat in storage in FL good excuse to take a trip in Feb. Thanks again for all your help