Yamaha repower

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Our 1988 228G is due for a repower. We now have a 1994 Evinrude 200 on it now (fuel hog), and was wondering if anyone has tried this boat with the new Yamaha four cylinder F200 four stroke. Top speed is not a real issue but I need to know if this engine has enough low end torque to move this boat.

ric2352

Reaction score
you need a F250....F225 would work but for almost the same money and the same engine why not get a250? I'm repowering my 208 with the F200 and it should be perfect. The 4 cylinder would need to work too hard to push your hull.....the 250 would probably give you all the power you need and work less to give you reasonable fuel economy . I have a friend with the same boat needing a repower...F250 for him as recommended by Grady. My 2 cents!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned an '01 226 with a 200 HPDI...it's a 41 MPH boat when it's trimmed high and howling. By playing with props (I wound up with a Mirage Plus 17) I was able to get decent fuel economy and holeshot with a cruising speed around 29-30 mph.

If you want to run much faster then that, go bigger. Otherwise, the new 200 I-4s are supposed to be great motors.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The 4-cylinder 200 Yamaha should be fine for a pre-SV2 hull. They aren't nearly as hard to push and get on plane as the later hull design. Be sure to prop it right.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you ruled out Evinrude? Your boat would scream with an E-tec 200HO and this isn't "your father's Oldsmobile." 8)

If you wanted to save some dough, you could pick up a used one and your existing Evinrude controls and gauges would still work.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Thanks Onoahimahi, no, in fact the E-tec 200 was the first engine I considered. My local dealer sells both Evinrude and Yamaha.
The salesman pretty much talked me out of the E-tec because he told me that they have a problem with plug fouling when trolling for an extended time.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dadsgirl said:
Thanks Onoahimahi, no, in fact the E-tec 200 was the first engine I considered. My local dealer sells both Evinrude and Yamaha.
The salesman pretty much talked me out of the E-tec because he told me that they have a problem with plug fouling when trolling for an extended time.

I have never heard of that problem - in fact, the E-tec has some special fuel injection mode at low RPM that barely sips fuel - less than any other outboard on the market. An E-tec burns something like 0.2 GPH at idle/slow troll. I do lots of trolling and still have the original plugs from 2006 (although my motors only have 200 hours on them.)

You can check with other owners on the E-tec owners site:
http://www.etecownersgroup.com

If you are set on new, you might want to wait for the dust to settle on the new E-tec G2. They are claiming 15% fuel economy improvement over "best outboards in this category" but until we see actual numbers, we wont know if they had to use any "new math" in their calculations. By that I mean did they have to assume the motors spend 80% of their time at some low RPM where they are already super efficient. I am eager to see what the cruise numbers are because they set the boats range.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
This is an interesting post for me, because at some point in the future, I want to repower my Seafarer 228G with a new motor. It currently has a Yamaha HPDI 200, and it seems to get out of the hole just fine, and will push the boat along OK. No speed records, but I really don't want to go all that fast. I was investigating the new Inline 4 Cylinder Yamaha 200hp, and I think Suzuki has introduced an Inline 4 Cylinder 200hp due out this fall. My question is, if the current 200hp HPDI does OK, why wouldn't the newer 200hp motors do as well or better than the HPDI? Do they not have as much torque?

SwampGrizz

gulfcoastangler

Reaction score
I have seen many boats getting re-powered at our marina and the large majority is going with suzuki and have not heard one bad thing. I am looking at yamaha but second guessing with so many happy people that went with suzuki.

GulfSea

Reaction score
My 228 performs very well with the F250 but I'd probably research Honda's BF250 before making the decision. I've read reports of better fuel economy but haven't seen anyone post 228/BF250 numbers. For me I would not go with less than a 250; it's not so much about top end as it is just having solid power at all settings.