Yamaha shutdown while underway

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yesterday I was underway when the port motor just shutdown. I have a 2003 Gulfstream with two 2019 Yamaha F200's with 70 hours on. New start switches and gauges were installed when repower was done in 2019. Batteries were 12.8V on the 2 banks. I tried to restart the motor, noticed the port gauge was off as well. Tilt was inoperable, although the independent tilt switch is working on starboard motor. I have 12V at starter. it appears that the fuses on the port motor look good, I am going to remove them/check them today. Trying to narrow down what is wrong, including possibly port key switch. The fact that the gauge is off (doesn't display anything) is stranger.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Len

seasick

Reaction score
If the gauge doesn't power up, the motor is not getting a power signal from the helm. Although there is and should be 12V at the starter relay, there is no switched 12v. If the local tilt switch on the cowling works then the motor ground is probably fine also.
So the problem is in the harness, the harness connections, the ignition switch. I don't think it is the kill switch, even if engaged, the gauge should work.
I am not sure if there is another relay on the motor that is controlled by the ignition signal.
In any case, first thing is to check for loose or corroded connections at the motor, the harness connections at the motor, all fuses on the motor, the dash switch connectors anf finally the switch itself. If may be possible to swap temporarily the port and starboard ignition switch connectors and see if the problem moves to the other motor.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If the gauge doesn't power up, the motor is not getting a power signal from the helm. Although there is and should be 12V at the starter relay, there is no switched 12v. If the local tilt switch on the cowling works then the motor ground is probably fine also.
So the problem is in the harness, the harness connections, the ignition switch. I don't think it is the kill switch, even if engaged, the gauge should work.
I am not sure if there is another relay on the motor that is controlled by the ignition signal.
In any case, first thing is to check for loose or corroded connections at the motor, the harness connections at the motor, all fuses on the motor, the dash switch connectors anf finally the switch itself. If may be possible to swap temporarily the port and starboard ignition switch connectors and see if the problem moves to the other motor.
Thanks! The 20amp fuse labeled 'Main Switch' popped. Put spare in and motor and gauge is working again. I dont know what caused it to pop but at least the fuse fix was easy. Thanks again!

Reactions: glacierbaze

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't forget to replace the spare, or two!
I had the same thing happen a few years ago, and up until then, I was not even aware of the fuses under the cowling. It would be nice if the manufacturers could group them under a little access door, it's a PIA to take the cowling off in a choppy sea to check fuses.

seasick

Reaction score
Yes, definitely stock get a spare and hope it was just a fluke. That fuse should not pop under normal operation and the event may indicate an intermittent short somewhere. Those things can be difficult to locate especially if it is in the harness that runs from the helm to the motor. Also remember that there should be a spare in the other motor and in a pinch that can be used.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Does it turn over the starter Or a starter Wire may have grounded out you can swap starters just to test GOOD LUCK IN