Yamaha square gauge backlight wiring question

JAdams1

Reaction score
Hi all, my Yamaha square gauge back light wiring on my 2007 Tournament 205 was never connected. From what I have read I need to connect the blue wire to the nav light circuit. I was going to tap into the compass light lead which lights up when the nav lights are on. I tried to to find a pigtail wiring diagram with no luck. Part number on the gauge is a 6Y80-01 58W 1030168.

Thanks.

Attachments

• blue wire.jpg
    blue wire.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 11

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hi all, my Yamaha square gauge back light wiring on my 2007 Tournament 205 was never connected. From what I have read I need to connect the blue wire to the nav light circuit. I was going to tap into the compass light lead which lights up when the nav lights are on. I tried to to find a pigtail wiring diagram with no luck. Part number on the gauge is a 6Y80-01 58W 1030168.

Thanks.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do you have a test light or voltage meter to check wire

seasick

Reaction score
On my hull, the backlight feed is off of the NAV switch. It is a blue wire and there are two of them crimped to the same female spade connector. One goes to the compass and one to the gauges. I don't any reason why you couldn't splice off of the compass. That said, If not too bad of a job, see if there are two blue wired crimped together on the NAV switch. If so, I would think it is in the wire bundle, dead ended.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Backlights work but not off NAV power circuit? I temporally connected the "A" blue wire to the compass light lead and turned on the backlight using the MODE/SET menu and they lit up but did not turn off with the NAV switch. Are the blue wires labeled "B" the backlight wires? Anyone have a link to the install manual for these gauges so I can confirm the pigtail wiring? I have only found the operating manual. The FUEL/SPEED gauge has two pigtail connectors, the TACH has one. Thanks.

Attachments

• WIRES.jpg
    WIRES.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 4
  • iluminated.jpg
    iluminated.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 5

seasick

Reaction score
I don't have Command Link gauges but looking at a set up video, it seems that backlighting is either on or off. You can set the light brightness. Verify that you have the digital command link gauges 6Y8 series.
I referred to the rigging guide and do not see any wire connections mentioned for lighting

JAdams1

Reaction score
I don't have Command Link gauges but looking at a set up video, it seems that backlighting is either on or off. You can set the light brightness. Verify that you have the digital command link gauges 6Y8 series.
I referred to the rigging guide and do not see any wire connections mentioned for lighting
Thanks Seasick, I have the 6Y8 gauges, mentioned in the opening thread. I can always turn them on when I need them, just trying to get the backlight to turn on with NAV lights. I just need to find a free copy of the the installation guide LIT-18541-00-01. Page 20 looks like the page I need, blurred out on websites unless you buy it.....

COMMAND LINK MULTIFUNCTION METER INSTALLATION MANUAL
90894-62981-66

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I looked at a Yamaha rigging manual for 2011 which has all the gauge options and wiring diagrams and do not see any wires for backlighting.