Yamaha SX250 Overheating, Again!

vangrady

Reaction score
Hi Guys, HELP;
Started my engines for the first time this season and the port side overheated. Based on prior experience, when I start the machines for the first time in the season, I remove the cowls and check the temp at the t/stat housing with a digital thermometer. The Stb engine startup went fine. the high bank side went up to about 55 deg C after about 5 minutes and then quickly dropped back and held at 45 deg C. The same with the low bank side. The port engine high bank side went from 40 to 50 to 60 to 70 to 80 and then tripped the alarm. The low bank side went up to 55 deg and then dropped back and held at 45 deg.
Do you think this is a thermostat problem or salt blockage?
How often should the T/stats be replaced? I replaced all the T/stats last year and only had 15 hours of running time on them before the winter shutdown.
Is there an access port in the block that you can check to see if there is salt buildup in the engine?
Many thanks!!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You might check your poppet valve also. I would probably do a Salt-Free treatment to make sure everything is cleared up. This isn't normal.