Yamaha Tilt Motor Problem

bls-fla

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Gulfstream 232 with twin Yamaha 150 HPDIs. My boat sat in the water for a while when I had some health issues and now I have a problem. The tilt motors on both engines are straining to raise and lower the engines. I have two batteries and two Perko switches so I've tried each battery on each engine and both batteries on each engine. I even tried a new larger battery. My suspicion is a bad ground somewhere but where would that occur so it would affect both engines? In the binnacle maybe? Any adcie will be appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
bls-fla said:
I have a 1990 Gulfstream 232 with twin Yamaha 150 HPDIs. My boat sat in the water for a while when I had some health issues and now I have a problem. The tilt motors on both engines are straining to raise and lower the engines. I have two batteries and two Perko switches so I've tried each battery on each engine and both batteries on each engine. I even tried a new larger battery. My suspicion is a bad ground somewhere but where would that occur so it would affect both engines? In the binnacle maybe? Any adcie will be appreciated.
If the batteries are able to start the motors, they should be able to run the tilt pumps.
Do the motors have issues going up or down? What position are they in now?

It is most likely not the helm controls and that can be confirmed by trying the switch on the motor.
Bad ground is a possibility but if the motor cranks and starts, it is not the issue with the tilt.
Tilt pump could need fluid.
If the motors are up and won't go down AND you haven't tried to start the motors, check that the batteries are good and charged and that all the battery connections ate nice and tight.

Unfortunately there isn't enough info to make a better guess at this time.

Grandpapat

Reaction score
If you are in saltwater check for hard growth on the metal parts where the engines move.