Yamaha timing belt advice needed

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought a 2004 228 with a 2004 F225 awhile back and have been tinkering it up, getting it ready to catch a fish. I got it done up to the point I am satisfied to start using it. The previous owner said he had never replaced the timing belt and there was no paperwork showing the original owner had done it and for that matter it wasn't time for the original owner to do it before the guy I bought it from took over. When we ran it for a water test it ran fine. Cruised at about 27 mph and ran it up to about 38 mph before a turn and an oncoming boat slowed things down. Back at the dock I had it idle in neutral for about 10 minutes. No stumbling, no alarms, gauges all looking as they should. Pee stream was good. So here I am ready to do the proper thing and change the timing belt. Book says change it at 1000hrs or 5 years. It has 500+ hrs but it has been 18 years. Time to get it done. SIM Yamaha sent me the belt and I just pulled the cover off the flywheel. First job, line up the timing marks. SNAG!....This is where I would like some advice, opinions or gospel truth. I lined up the #1 TDC and looked over at the camshaft sprockets to verify that those marks were all in agreement. They are NOT!. They are 180 degrees off. Both of them. Question #1...Are the camshaft lobes in the same position when 180 degrees off compared to being on the mark? Question #2....Can I remove the belt and rotate each camshaft clockwise to line them up with the mark to make everything copesetic? Look at the pictures and zoom in to see the white paint I put on the timing mark/indicators.
4mwKInfh.jpg

fd4dsM8h.jpg

d52OTZIh.jpg

lDnzAXXh.jpg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just found this info in the first few pages of the Yamaha manual. Makes me think I can rotate the camshafts independent of the crank without harm. I think though I will wait in hopes that Dennis will chime in and verify that thought.

oJkbgJEh.jpg

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Are some of the marks supposed to line up with marks on the belt?

Do you have the service manual to make sure which marks line up with what?

I sure wish my F250 was non-interference.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If it is running fine, just keep it the way it is! As long as you don't move either cam shafts relative to the flywheel, all is good!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are some of the marks supposed to line up with marks on the belt?

Do you have the service manual to make sure which marks line up with what?

I sure wish my F250 was non-interference.
If you look close at the pictures you can see the white paint I put on the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets and the white paint on the timing indicator marks on the case. Those are supposed to be lined up when the flywheel TDC mark is lined up. They are 180 degrees off.

My service manual is for the 3.3 Liter 200hp and 225hp. If you have the service manual for your 250 it will tell you if it is the same as far as valve clearance.

Last edited:

teaklejr

Reaction score
Have you tried turning the crank pulley another 360 degrees to see if the cam marks line up? That should line everything up.

Reactions: Captseahook

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
teaklejr, You Da Man! I went out and did that and everything is lined up perfect. I owe you whiskey! Shows you how much I know about the inner workings of these motors. Tomorrow I will get the job done. Thanks.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not that looks are everything, obviously, but if that is the original timing belt then it looks to be in great shape for being 18 years old now.

teaklejr

Reaction score
teaklejr, You Da Man! I went out and did that and everything is lined up perfect. I owe you whiskey! Shows you how much I know about the inner workings of these motors. Tomorrow I will get the job done. Thanks.
That’s great glad I could help out and yes I do love me some whiskey. Hope you get it all fixed up.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The cams turn at half the rate of the crank. Otherwise you'd have a cammed 2 stroke!