Yamaha Trim Meter Problem

lgusto

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I splashed the boat this weekend and found that my Yamaha trim meter seems out of whack (single F250). Last year it showed one bar when the engine was trimmed all the way down, and all bars when it was trimmed all the way up. Now, it shows four bars when the engine is all the way down. Any ideas? Is there a way to calibrate or reset the trim meter?

Thanks,

Larry

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Larry: I had a similar problem with a simple fix that may work for you. There is a little spring-loaded sensor between the engine and the mounting bracket on the starboard side. trim the engine all the way up and you should see it. It may be stuck. Move it back and forth a few times to loosen it up and then spray it with a lubricant. That worked on miine - hope it works for you.

Rob

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Rob is right on the money. A little wd40 and moving it up and down a few times fixed mine this week.

lgusto

Reaction score
Excellent tips, thank you guys for your prompt response. I'll be back on the boat Thursday and will give it a try. I'll be sure to let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Larry

lgusto

Reaction score
No dice on the WD-40.

The arm is intact and moves freely.

There are two adjustment screws that I've rotated as far counterclockwise as possible.

The trim meter still stops at 3 when the motor is completely down and then quickly maxes out on the top end when the engine is raised.

This is really annoying since I spent a lot of time last year determining the most efficient motor and trim tab settings for my boat.

Anyone have ideas other than hauling the boat and replacing the sending unit?

Thanks

georgemjr

Reaction score
Rotate it the other way. If it shows full down when manually moved that way, it sounds like it is working correctly and in need of an adjustment. If you are looking at it from the screw side, it would be counter-clockwise.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry you are having a tough time. I had to really work that thing up and down maybe 30 times while spraying wd 40. Manually move the arm to the up position and see if the gauge shows all the bars. If it does then the sending unit is probably OK.