Yamaha150 VS Suzuki 150 -- Both 4-stroke

grady23

Reaction score
Looking at a repower for a 1997 Gulfstream. Boat is in great shape and I cant see 120K for a new one. What are the thoughts on both of these engines or even E-Tec 150s. Thanks in advance for the input.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have been contemplating and pricing repower of my 265.I was looking at 200s. You will find that you can save several thousands of dollars going with the Suzukis.
The money you save will get you digital controls and maybe bump you up to 175s. I think you will need the DF150APs to get counterrotation.
They are more available than Yamaha.

Suzukis are great motors, I ran a DF140 on my old boat for 13 yrs/1200hrs. Maintenance Parts are available on Boats.net very reasonable prices. Very easy to change water pump impeller (MUCH easier than my Yamahas)
They have a timing chain and an offset shaft and 2.5:1 gearing so they will swing a bigger prop. They hold 3 more quarts of oil.

The only wrinkle in my search is that now Mercury has come out with some extremely light V6 225s(not Verados with superchargers) but they are not available for repowers until winter.
You might inquire about Merc 150s or even the V6 175s or 200s!

As for E-tec. Great engineering I guess but I want to get away from 2 strokes and not look back.

Honda makes nice family cars.....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Whats on the stern now? If it's Yamaha your current gauges and controls may be compatible with the mechanical Yamaha inline 4 line up. You could save rigging costs.
The Suzuki appears to be a great motor. When I repowered 2 seasons ago, I looked at them online but in my neck of the woods the dealer network is sparse. So, I stayed with Yamaha. The F150 has been one of the best motors they have ever built.

You can't go wrong either way. I will say I upgraded to digital controls and love it!

Fishtales

Reaction score
It comes down to local service. If you have a zuke service location nearby, you'll be fine with them.

Bread

Reaction score
My Suzuki has been great (Knock on wood). Agree with Fishtales assuming nearby service.

grady23

Reaction score
Thanks for the postings so far. I was quoted a pair price for CR DF150s with controls, props gauges and on-the-water testing at $23K. Dealer is about 1.5 hrs away. Keep the posts coming -- The more info the Better. One of the down sides to the Yamaha F150 is the required 100 hr maintenance that can be pricey -- upwards of $300-350 for both engines. It MUST be done by a certified Yamaha dealer or it voids the warranty. Speaking of warranty, the Suzuki's have a 6 yr vs the 3 yr on Yamaha.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Speaking of warranty, the Suzuki's have a 6 yr vs the 3 yr on Yamaha.

Yamaha has this offer of you buying now - good thru 3/31 purchases on 150 to 300 HP
Three years of Yamaha Limited Warranty coverage, along with the additional protection of a three-year Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) plan. That’s a total of six years of coverage at no additional cost!*

grady23

Reaction score
Speaking of warranty, the Suzuki's have a 6 yr vs the 3 yr on Yamaha.

Yamaha has this offer of you buying now - good thru 3/31 purchases on 150 to 300 HP
Three years of Yamaha Limited Warranty coverage, along with the additional protection of a three-year Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) plan. That’s a total of six years of coverage at no additional cost!*
One problem with Yamaha is the EXPENSIVE and REQUIRED 100Hr maintenance, about $150 per motor. Not to mention the added expense of about $9000+ more for the Yamahas

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd do the zukes and put the $9K in my next boat fund. A 40% premium for the yammies is nuts on a 20+ year old hull.

WOOF

Reaction score
Looking at a repower for a 1997 Gulfstream. Boat is in great shape and I cant see 120K for a new one. What are the thoughts on both of these engines or even E-Tec 150s. Thanks in advance for the input.
I repowered last year with Zuk 175's on a 1988 GW 232G.
The weight is the same as the 150 but you do get the VVT which makes a significant difference with the hole shot. With 15*21 props I am getting top speed of 50 with cruise at around 3800RPM's. If you wanted less weight on the transom, the 140's are significantly lighter. Suzuki is the only manufacturer producing a counter rotating 175.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yamaha wasn't even in my search when I was looking. I'm not paying a premium for their lack of support. I would have liked to see the new Merc, but they are so hard to get a hold of. I was a little scared by the reduced weight. There has to be a trade off somewhere. I really don't see a downside to them unless you don't have a dealer near by.

bac0701

Reaction score
I have been contemplating and pricing repower of my 265.I was looking at 200s. You will find that you can save several thousands of dollars going with the Suzukis.
The money you save will get you digital controls and maybe bump you up to 175s. I think you will need the DF150APs to get counterrotation.
They are more available than Yamaha.

Suzukis are great motors, I ran a DF140 on my old boat for 13 yrs/1200hrs. Maintenance Parts are available on Boats.net very reasonable prices. Very easy to change water pump impeller (MUCH easier than my Yamahas)
They have a timing chain and an offset shaft and 2.5:1 gearing so they will swing a bigger prop. They hold 3 more quarts of oil.

The only wrinkle in my search is that now Mercury has come out with some extremely light V6 225s(not Verados with superchargers) but they are not available for repowers until winter.
You might inquire about Merc 150s or even the V6 175s or 200s!

As for E-tec. Great engineering I guess but I want to get away from 2 strokes and not look back.

Honda makes nice family cars.....

Im drooling for 225 merc's for a while... i saw online people were getting prices for like 40-41k not that i looked into it. suzuki 200's were also a thought. who in NJ did you price?

Rustygaff

Reaction score
If there is a dealer nearby, I would also look at Tohatsu which are Honda's. A dockmate recently re-powered his Sailfish with a pair of 150's and they have been flawless.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Im drooling for 225 merc's for a while... i saw online people were getting prices for like 40-41k not that i looked into it. suzuki 200's were also a thought. who in NJ did you price?
Bloodmarine in Lacey Twp for Mercury and Sherman in Brick for Suzuki