Yamalube or Evinrude oil

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 1998 Evinrude oceanpro 175, Engine runs great all cly tested comp 105-110psi. I have a question about oils, I currently have a gallon of Jonson/evinrude oil unopened the prevous owner used only this brand. My mechanic told me to use yamalube oil because it is the cleanest buring oil on the market and reduces the engine buldup over the time of use, Another mechanic told me that this was crap, and another told me that both are bad to use Quiucksilver only. I am totally lost, so I am throwing this questions to the masses. I guess I cant go wrong using any of the 3. I want to stick with the one that give me the best longevity for my engine. would like to hear from some who may have fish stories on the oil they use.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All are decent oils, but each has their own atributes that make thenm better for certain things. both Yamalube and Evinrude oil contain their own adatives that both allow their respective engines to run cleaner and keep parts lubed to the brands specs, the addatives are what each brand thinks best benefits their engines. Quicksilver is Mercs brand, they too have adatives for their engines, using another brands oil might not benefit you to run cleaner depending on how those adatives run in your engine, I don;t think they would harm it but you might not benefit from it and may burn the oil slightly different then using their engines with their own oil. Personally, I would run the oil from your engine manufacturer, they know the engine best, and only if my CERTIFIED mechanic for that brand told me differently and I totally trusted him would I do anything different. There are too many guys out there that claim things, some are correct and some are not to just trust everything you hear. The safe thing is to use your own engines brand oil. also, you really should clean out your reservioir and start over instead of mixing oils, I'm not a fan of mixing them unless in an emergency. also, if bought used for that age I might clean it out anyways to be safe as a new owner of the boat, that way you know there is no crude in there and nothing to build up in the engine or to clog a line.

you also have to think, how many hours does that engine have on it, at this point in its life will you benefit or not from spending nearly $18-20/gal for oil, a generic marine oil might work fine and save you a lot, ocean pro's will go through oil. If you were running an HPDI, Optimax, Ficht or E-Tec I would say otherwise and stick with the recommended fuel for sure. Most Ocean Pro's I've sene or boats with them I've been on, they smoke a little anyways, just part of the technology of the engine, not sure if a particular oil will burn much cleaner, maybe a slight bit but not sure how much honestly, it surely will not eliminate it all.

dlevitt

Reaction score
I am assuming that the 1998 is a carb motor. I've been running a '93 Oceanpro 200 with Penzoil Semi synthetic from walmart. The engine runs great. I also add Startron to my fuel at every fill up. In addition, a couple times a season, I add Evinrude Carbon Guard to the fuel.

It is my understanding that this helps everything burn cleaner. I was told that the Evinrude oils have additives that help fight carbon. I just feel better adding the carbon guard since I'm not using factory oil.

Having said this, if you have a fuel injected motor, I would only use the Evinrude oil.

David

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Carbs right? Either will most likely work. I've used Yamalube and Evin XD-50 in my carb'd Yamaha's without any problems. I can't vouch for Merc oil but it's probalby OK. Carbed motors don't skimp on the oil so just use a quality oil and some form or ring-free and you'll be OK. I'm not sure I'd use the cheapest Wallyworld special oil but any of the major 3 would work.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Engine is the 98 Carbed model, Has about 300 hours and was well maintained. perv owner got new even kept a logbook and wrote down the usage time after every trip. he even noted the hours meter difference.
I want to buy in bulk now so,
I have found 4 gals of yamalube for 18$ each + 15 shiping.

Compared the price for evinrude @25$ea at walmart, think of getting the yamalube, but dont want to chance doing anything to the engine.
what to do what to do.....
:?

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I have a pair of 200 OP's on my Sailfish, this will be my 2nd year with her ...I use Evinrude products ..(as did the prior owner) ... I would think either oil is fine but ... I just figure then if I ever do have a problem my mechanic can't say 'WELL if you used the oil recommended in your owners manual this wouldnt have happened! '...

JMO ... Tom

Amigo

Reaction score
In the summer of 2007 I put 400 hours on a 1992 Johnson 115 HP. The GPS measured 1,400 miles traveled. Most of those hours were slow speed trolling for walleye on inland lakes or salmon on Lake Michigan. (I could not get the Grady out of storage because of a seawall failure at my dock.) Normal hours per year are 150 -200. The engine has to have an excess of 2,000 hours, maybe pushing 3,000.

I also use the synthtic blend PennZoil. I put a can of Sea Foam in the 18 gallon tank every 100 hours or so.

I had a mechanic install a new water jacket gasket on the cylinder head. He was able to tell me that the cylinder and piston head were very clean.

I think that the synthetic PennZoil and Sea Foam combo are good medicine for old carbed 2 cycle engines.

Seahunter

Reaction score
997 200 Ocean Pro. Ran Evinrude HD30 for a couple if years. Had several gallons of Merc Premium Plus laying around and gave it a try. MPP smoked less and seemed to troll better than the HD30. Have MPP ever since.

I decarb in the spring and run no additives at all after that.

Capt CMG

Reaction score
I have a pair of Yamaha 200's and my dad has Ocean Pro 225's, both sets are carbed and we both burn Amsoil. Amsoil seems to burn way cleaner than the yamaha and the evinrude brands. Also use it in my Yamaha jet ski.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt CMG said:
I have a pair of Yamaha 200's and my dad has Ocean Pro 225's, both sets are carbed and we both burn Amsoil. Amsoil seems to burn way cleaner than the yamaha and the evinrude brands. Also use it in my Yamaha jet ski.

+1 on Amsoil. Nothing burns cleaner. It is noticably less smokey, and produces less carbon becuase it basically doesn't burn.

BTW, oil is the pretty much the same from evinrude, yamaha, merc, or whatever. They all use a basic TC3 rated petroleum based oil. Some of the premium oils may be semi-synthetic.

To say you shouldn't use evinrude oil in a yamaha or vice versa is simply hogwash. And they all mix just fine together in an oil tank - more hog wash.

If you're switching to a full synthetic its best to drain the tank to eliminate diluting the new oil, but just running it low is fine, they mix just fine.

The important thing is that you use an outboard motor rated oil from a popular brand name as they have the proper anti-corrosion package. Otherwise, it all burns the same in your old smoker.

Making sure it is getting oil and that there are no vacume leaks to lean out a combustion chamber is far more critical for engine life in those old motors. No mechanic is going to say you used the wrong oil unless it just didn't get any.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Capt CMG said:

+1 on Amsoil. Nothing burns cleaner. It is noticably less smokey, and produces less carbon becuase it basically doesn't burn.

BTW, oil is the pretty much the same from evinrude, yamaha, merc, or whatever. They all use a basic TC3 rated petroleum based oil. Some of the premium oils may be semi-synthetic.

To say you shouldn't use evinrude oil in a yamaha or vice versa is simply hogwash. And they all mix just fine together in an oil tank - more hog wash.

If you're switching to a full synthetic its best to drain the tank to eliminate diluting the new oil, but just running it low is fine, they mix just fine.

The important thing is that you use an outboard motor rated oil from a popular brand name as they have the proper anti-corrosion package. Otherwise, it all burns the same in your old smoker.

Making sure it is getting oil and that there are no vacume leaks to lean out a combustion chamber is far more critical for engine life in those old motors. No mechanic is going to say you used the wrong oil unless it just didn't get any.

Synthetic and non syenthetic do not mix well. they have different properties and break down at a different rate. I agree 100% that you can burn just about any oil in any engine as long as it meets the right rating's, but mixing 2 different types is a bad practice. As far as using a different brand oil in your engine, it should not harm your engine, but the various addatives that engine manufacturer adds might not benefit you, so your paying for addatives that are of no gain to you. As far as that brands oil being better then a generic brand, depends if the addatives really do help the engine lubricate better or burn cleaner, or it is just a sales pitch, I know that consumer reports did a test a few years back which wouldn't help us a ton now, but it proved some oils in certain engines did help and in others it did not, as well as some oils being better then others over all. Might try and find it if I can.

ddog

Reaction score
Pick a good quality name brand oil that meets TCW3 specification that is convenient for you to buy and stick with it. I have been running the Pennzoil semi synthetic. Walmart and West Marine both sell it, its cheaper at Walmart as much as I hate shopping there. The plus is they are every where so if your out of town boating, you can always get the oil.

All that being said, when I was renting jet ski's, I ran the cheapest oil I could find with the TCW label. (Walmart house brand, west marine house, whoever was on sale, 5-6.00 a gallon) 4 ski's 3 seasons in Fl Salt water, over 2000 hours on each ski, no decarboning, no fuel additives, no stuck rings, no engine failures. That either says alot about cheap oil or alot about Yamaha Jet ski's. Bottom line- Don't over think it....... Want to over think it anyway go to bobistheoilguy.com I think they have a marine oil discussion forum there.

One of the biggest causes of failure in oil injection systems in outboards... Foil. How Carefull are you removing the foil/paper seal onthe jug? People that just pop them inward with a finger and pour, little bits of foil can plug the filter in the pick up. The filter on the Yamaha systems is quite small.

Your evinrude has shrader port on the choke solenoid that makes decarboning very easy and convenient using the Engine Tuner Bombardier (OMC) sells. FOllow the instructions on the can. Check the records to see if its been done. Typically every 50-100 hours is norm.

ddog

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you ddog. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Finally, a voice of reason.

+1 on the oil guy.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank all great input, I decided to go with the yamalube as I got 4 gals for a great price, Cleaned the oil tank and line, and fill with new oil. Engine started and ran fine for about 15min at idle. Noticable less smoke.
Hopefully I wont be putting up a post titled, "Yamalube was bad idea". lol

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with Yamalube.

It's just that it's not the only thing that will work in an outboard motor.

If you like yamalube you would love HPI, smokes even less. No biggie though...