Yamalube vs. Other 2-cycle oil in Yamaha 225

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
CJ..
Thanks for the reply...I'm OK with "long-winded" answers..

I am a Mobil 1 fan..I have a restored 16 Donzi Ski Sporter (Sweet 16) circa 1967 that I use Mobil 1 15-50 in.
I had a '98 Chev 2500 4x4 with a 454 that I switched to Mobil 1 in for the last year I had it.
I have been told by everyone that the synthetics are better for automotive engines and sterndrive-boat combos.. I never continued the thought process to outboards.
I am not mechanically inclined..(I am a rock drummer/singer that performs for a living and boats on the side.) Therefore things have to be told to me 'cause my mind doesn't work the way a seasoned engine guy's does.

Anyway, I just thought that Yamalube goes in Yamahas, Optimax Oil in Mercs, and that's that. It's interesting to me that I might be able to significantly prolong the life of my engines by a switch.

Resale means nothing to me.. Everytime I've sold something I've kept a long time it's never been worth what it's supposed to be. I keep my stuff clean..(I started the "Cleaning Gradys" thread) and I still lose more than I figured on.
I have no intention of selling my Gulfstream and I almost always keep boats and vehicles for 10 years or more. Anything that can keep my rig going, be it Amisol, Mobile 1 or any kind of upkeep advice is important to me.

Question #3..Does it hurt the Yamaha Outboards to switch over after 125-odd hours on Yamalube? It didn't seem to in my Chevy 454..

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mobil 1 is an excellent synthetic, it's the featured oil for Mercedes Benz, says so right under the hood. For BMW, it's Castrol Syntec, not as good, but a good lubricant nonetheless. And I think that's what comes in Cadillac and Corvette.

I used Mobil1 for many years when it was hard to get Amsoil. Once they got an online site and shipping to your door I went back. Plus, as mentioned, they have a product for virtually every application. So you don't have to hunt around for a satisfactory synthetic for something special, like for example, outboard motors! What's interesting to note is that all of the major oil labels pooh-poohed synthetics, saying 'oh, you don't need that' and now they all have their own synthetic or semi-synthetic products.

You can switch any time without a worry. The only time it's not recommend is for something that is at the end of it's useful life and the gum and sludge is what's holding it together. Like a card with 150K or more on the clock. The synthetic will clean out all that crap and plug a filter or cause oil consumption since there's nothing in the ring grooves to stop the blow-by.

For your outboards it's not a problem to swtich. Get the lowerend lube too and just switch the whole thing when you service them.

Let me know if you want to get setup to buy direct. I would appreciate any referals from fellow Grady enthusiasts.