Yellowing of gelcoat

Harleyfxdl

Reaction score
Can anyone advise as to why the gelcoat gets a yellow tint to it when you take it out on the water? What is the best way to clean it?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yellowing of gelcoat is often caused by applying wax or polish over older polish or wax. To eliminate this you need to remove the wax before applying new wax, I use collinite hull cleaner to clean the hull at the end of each season and then wax in the fall. Also, come claim using a hard wax will make it yellow, but I have used treewax carnabba wax for 14 years without any yellowing at all. Hope this helps.

Harleyfxdl

Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear with my question. When I first got the boat a month ago the hull was white. Now that I've splashed it a few times I notice that each time I pull the boat out it has a yellow tint to the hull. I have NOT waxed the boat yet. Something in the hudson river is slowly turning my boat yellow. :shock:

Reaction score
Down here in the South, the same issue is caused by tannins in the rivers. The stains come off with any spray liquid hull cleaner (usually), or a boat polish with just a little bit of grit in it.

Harleyfxdl

Reaction score
Thanks AA, I've heard of this b4 but wasn't sure if that was the problem. I was told to use Starbrite hull cleaner.

Amigo

Reaction score
Likely its a stain from the water. I have the same problem with fresh river water flowing into Lake Michigan. I use SnoBowl toilet bowl cleaner when it gets bad. Using a wax on the hull bottom inhibits the stain from coming back.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Use collinite or meguir's, their products are a world above starbright. I used to use their products and after using both of the others would never ever go back. My choice would be collinite, but the meguir's product line is very good as well, most guys who take their boats seriously on here will typically recommend one of these two brands.