Yes

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Great Topic.

The past 2 weekends i've been trying to remove the drain plug on the bracket. NO-GO. It looks like this thing has not been remove since new. Jimmy was right about the use of an easy-out. After many attemps to try and remove (along with some new 4-letter words) it was time for the drill. My first hole revealed that the plug is Alum and yes, once I was thru I drained almost 5 gallions of water from the bracket. I ended up usng a 1/2" bit. So I now have a 1/2 hole through the old plug which is not going anywhere. So my plan now is to cut new threads and use something different.

What about a brass or PVC fitting?

HD

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't use brass. The plugs are 1/2"NPT. There isn't much meat left after the 1/2" hole was drilled through. Are you sure you can't use a punch and cave one side in and get it out?

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Grog said:
Don't use brass. The plugs are 1/2"NPT. There isn't much meat left after the 1/2" hole was drilled through. Are you sure you can't use a punch and cave one side in and get it out?

I did try and cave in one side. No luck. It just chipped off. This thing is really galled in place. I would try heat. But since there is foam inside I think that is a great way to get a fire going.

I will be taking the bracket off to have it cleaned up and re-painted. Maybe I can get to it from the inside. If not....back to the first plan of action.

Would PVC work in the place of Brass?

Thanks

HD

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
NA2P said:
I am surprised you could not get it out with a pipe wrench. Mine came right out with a little muscle. I was going to be putting an aluminum plug back in as it was originally, and also brought up in this thread to put back. The more I thought about it PVC is the much better choice and the way to go. Since I will be removing it every season I dont see a problem. It will seal perfect and not need any sealer/lubricant. One less thing to have a problem with.

Pete

Mine was a recessed, hex-head plug. When I first looked at it I said "Oh crap". I knew it was going to be tough. Why someone would put a recessed plug in that area is beyound me. Not to mention a hex-head. I am so glad that it was an alum. plug Vs a stainless steel. The drill cut right through it.

HD

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jimmies marine service, Jimmy you might be one hell of a mechanic, but I do believe your attitude and approach to customers could use a tune up. You must be one busy boy to be able to respond to questions asked, with no concern of offending possible future customers. Speaking of plugs, that is mine for the day. Cheers, trapper