Yes

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't remember any specification about the plastic bowls besides outboard use only.

And, nice job on the wiring.

catch22

Reaction score
NA2P said:
Catch22,

I read all 3 pages. Seemed pretty a civil discussion actually. As long as that plastic bowl type is not being used in an bilge compartment along side an engine , it can be used in a vented bilge with no issues. I think low lying gas vapors and sparking is what is worrisome . Like was mentioned the inboard needs a blower too, something not found on an outboard powered vessel.

Happy filtering.
Pete

Yea, the first page had some bickering, back and forth. Sounded unnecessary to me, but whatever. Sorry for going off on a tangent here.

Anyway, I thought I read somewhere, that it was ok to use the plastic bowl model in a bilge area, (even if it wasn't ventilated) as long as it was on an outboard powered boat. That's how I've been using them, for quite a while, but now I'm having second thoughts. I would like to know, for sure, what the official word is, for safety sake. I mean, can this become an issue during a Coast Guard inspection? What about insurance coverage, in the event of a fire?
I do prefer the transparent bowl, but If need be, I would have no problem going to a metal type, as long as you can still drain the bowl. To me, that's the most important feature.
I don't like the idea of having the filter outside, above deck, and exposed. Just seems wrong to me and I think it looks like crap.