Yes

whitey

Reaction score
you're kidding,right ?
i went fishing on a 32 albermarle,i liked the boat so much i went out and bought one.there's not a grady produced that will match the ride.a neighbor of mine has a 28 carolina classic,he just bought it,i went for a wreck fishing trip on it with him,that boat rides great,just as good as the albermarle i bought.it's a solid feeling ride,the boat will not pound you.i had gradys from the 204,to the 25 trophy pro,and everyone i had was a good boat,don't get me wrong,but he ride was never good.i had a 24 offshore,that was the worst riding boat i ever had.
there's truly no comparison between a grady and an albermarle or a carolina classic.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I once read a comment that stated "Compared to the Carolina Classic, the grady is just a toy" - I think that about sums it up.
Tim

gw204

Reaction score
The only comparison I can make is my '93 25' Sailfish w/ bracketed motors to a mid-90s's 28' Carolina that I have fished several tourneys on.

Basically, there was no comparison. The Carolina was a bigger, better boat...plain and simple. I beat the Grady hands down in pretty everything but aft berth space and fuel economy. It had twin 454s...but still got about 1 mpg.

Ride was much better. Build was much better. Fit and finish was better. Stability was about the same. Fishability was better...except for the one time I had to go around to the bow with an estimated 200 lb. bluefun trying to tug me into the water.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the exact figures for deadrise on CC's and Albermerle's but it is easy to see they are built for a serious fishing market and that means folks who do long distances offshore with catching fish their primary objective . We have some similar layouts and deadrise in a few custom builders here in OZ, and I've been keeping an eye on your used market a lot.
I had a 26 deg. deadrise 26footer with 454 petrol and the stability and ride was superb. I got tired of the upkeep of the inboard and leg; and the noise at cruise revs. And the constant adjustment to tabs while travelling . Also this boat was narrow and had an engine box so not ideal for fishing.
I think the Grady is a compromise (as are all boats ) and that they obviously believe most of their customers want the ease and convenience of outboards.
We recently did a 2hour run in a tournament with the 1.5 mtre sea on our fore quarter and we got their first at the same time as a 56 Viking with 1400 hp per side. To say the ride of the newer Grady's is bad would be a huge overstatement. For their length weight and outboard power they are a very good ride.
If you enjoy engine maintenance and don't intend to trailer your boat ; then there are definitely better fishing specific boats available. Of course unless it has modern diesels, then any deep vee is going to use a lot more juice than a modern outboard setup.
My 265 has twice the onboard space of my deep vee, is just as easy(if not easier) to fish out of , has 2 motors (great for peace of mind)and uses 10-20% more fuel. Rides 80% as well, This is the compromise I was looking for.

DBV

Reaction score
I have compared and conducted numerous sea trials over the last year between the Carolina Classic 28 and Grady White 305. Carolina has a great ride, especially in rough water. Also has a lot more space in the cockpit. As others have said it is built like a tank and fit and finish are outstanding. The biggest positive the Grady has, is a much better cabin for overnight trips, but that sounds like that is not important to you. They are both great boats.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can't believe the 28' CC with 454's got 1 MPG, maybe with diesels. There used to be a 28' CC at my marina last year and it was next to a Dolphin, there's no comparison. The CC's and Albe's have a great reputaion for their ride in just about any seas, but don't expect to win any speed races.

It's been said the CC's are more tender but I would like to experience it first hand.

At a show last year the CC 28 was less than the GW 30's, and by a decent amount.

wilson

Reaction score
was at the ocean city boat show back in feb. and a 33 ablemarle was outside on blocks. you could see "up" into the air intake cowling on the starside and the splashguard behind the vent screen was not glassed or epoxy painted. about four to six inches was bare plywood. that was plainly poor craftsmanship and not found by inspections. carolina and ablemarle are just another boat builder to me.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I would of bought a Carolina Classic 28 when I purchased my last boat four years ago, except that the CC28 doesnt have the range to hit the canyons in NE. With a 220 gallon diesel tank you have a usuable range of 190 miles - my 265 with a 250 gallons tank has an easy 350 mile range - I run 250 miles on a an edge trip.
THe cabins were close in accomodations -
Tim

fishinmission

Reaction score
Carolina against Grady

Does the Carolina have that livewell in te back still that gets you soaked all the time . I have seen them and those boats rock n roll to much.

Your 23' gulfstream you can go to the canyon in with your new twin 150 Yamaha's. If your going to sell your boat it should sell easy being as clean as your boat is.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will have to agree on the rock n roll of the CC, also there is not enough range for a canyon trip. If you do a lot of bottom fishing you have to think tis again, the boat REALLY rock n roll.

DBV

Reaction score
I hear people say that the 28 Carolina really rocks at drift, but I have yet to see it be much different than other boats I have been on, even the Grady. Maybe I am just immune to it? They are a both good boats with positives and negatives, which makes buying a boat such a hard decision some times.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I will have to agree on the rock n roll of the CC, also there is not enough range for a canyon trip. If you do a lot of bottom fishing you have to think tis again, the boat REALLY rock n roll.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
DBV said:
I hear people say that the 28 Carolina really rocks at drift, but I have yet to see it be much different than other boats I have been on, even the Grady. Maybe I am just immune to it? They are a both good boats with positives and negatives, which makes buying a boat such a hard decision some times.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:

I love C.C. boats, and it was on my short list when I bought a 29 Blackfin back in 2000. But remember, 28' C.C.'s has 24 degree transom deadrise, and drifts beam-to. In sloppy seas, it's not a matter of being immune, it's a matter of holding on. That baby really rocks. In fact, C.C. dropped the transom deadrise back from 24 deg to 18 deg on their 35.

I had my 29 Blackfin for 6 years, and it too, had a 24 degree deadrise at the transom. Nothing rode better in a headsea, and she loved to troll. But drift-fishing is another matter. There were times when you could not fish or even sit there without holding on, with all the rocking & rolling.

The Grady drifts stern to the waves, and is a much gentler motion for drifting. Not the same head-sea ride as a CC or Blackfin, for sure, but with her 56 deg sharp bow entry, it's a decent compromise.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Your 282 drifts stern to the seas?
My 265 drifts beam into the seas -
In my opinion, what the CC lacks at drifts it more than makes up in rougher weather.
A true statement above about going to the NE canyon - you can go in a 23'er - on really good days (actually perfect days) - a 28 CC will be able to fish in less than perfect conditions -

One interesting note - I only take my 265 to the edge when it is near perfect conditions - and wouldnt you believe - everyone else with a canyon boat is doing the same thing! The place is a parking lot.

If you can get out there when the forcast isnt perfect (I am not saying dangerous, maybe just a little rougher) there are considerably less boats!

Tim

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Gulfstream with twin 200's drifts stern-to like Capt. Bill's.

My old Seafarer drifted stern-to also.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CC is showing an option for 256 gal. diesel capacity. That's OK for the lower NE canyons but where I am, the round trip is over 200 miles plus trolling. I can't see why that boat doesn't have 300 gallons. On the plus side, your speed and mileage will not change much with the sea conditions.

Bill, how many gallons did the Blackfin hold?

Reaction score
Getting back to the "rocking" issue. I can attest to this having owned a 27 Albe which is very similar to the CC 28. Mine was one of the only boats sitting in the slip rocking when a small ripple of a wave came by, and forget about trying to be up on the tower in a 3-4' sea. Can't argue with the construction of the boat though, it was an absolute tank.