Yes

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is a photo of the installation I did on our Islander.

Bow-2.jpg

You mention mounting the windlass forward of current fittings. Note that the windlass needs to be as far aft as possible, so it is over the deepest part of the anchor locker. This is essential to maximize the "fall" of the rode coming off the windlass.

Vertical windlasses are nicer looking, but horizontal windlasses do a better job in feeding rode into the locker. This is particularly important in installations with limited "fall".

It is also (strongly) recommended that you not ride to the windlass when at anchor, i.e. that the rode is secured to a cleat to take the load. You should consider this in planning your installation. The cleat to port of the windlass is the original centerline cleat.

I have also installed a SS anchor swivel since this photo was teken.

Brian

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Glad that my post helped, and that Lewmar ProFish is one nice windlass!

Wanted to mention that our anchor locker holds 300-feet of 1/2-inch rode, plus 30-feet of 1/4-inch chain.

Are you going to leave the lifting eye and the connecting bar in place?

Also, rode for windlass use is different than regular rode. It is firmer, and has a harder finish to resist abrasion damage in the gypsy.

Reaction score
NA2P is that pulpit from the factory? I am thinking of adding that or a bow roller if possible for reasonable amount but don't want to go to crazy as I plan on selling the boat and switching to a center console in the next season or two

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Windlass

I have a Horizon 500 windlass. Not sure if this was factory or dealer installed. Windlass works like a charm. Its best to let out a little chain to use the cleat but you can get the lines on with a little pulling.

windlass.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: Windlass

Hookup1 said:
I have a Horizon 500 windlass. Not sure if this was factory or dealer installed. Windlass works like a charm. Its best to let out a little chain to use the cleat but you can get the lines on with a little pulling.

Nice installation.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Windlass

I was concerned about the windlass tearing out the lid too. The hinges are heavy duty stainless hinges, thru-bolted. Most important of all is that the lid sits in a recess. Because of the angle of pull the lid braces itself the forward edge of the recess.

I have used the anchor dozens of times. I never cleat it off. The windlass manuafacturer states that you should retrieve a small amount of line to prevent creeping.

As I said before, I inherited this installation. If it ain't broke don't fix it!