Yikes! Cracks in the interior shell

DividedSky

Reaction score
Website
www.rageagainsttheright.com
Hi guys - I've been the owner of a 28' 2006 GW Sailfish and have never had any issues. We recently had our boat moved from winter storage back into our slip at our local marina (a bit late, but we're in Maine), and we noticed 3 large cracks in the cabin shell. It doesn't look like it was caused by a blunt object, as there is no indication something slammed into the cabin walls, however the cracks are large and obvious. One on the port side above the stereo, the other two on the starboard side near the head. Anyone experience this or seen this before? I've attached 2 photos:

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,265
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,265

ctcbtr

Reaction score
wow , dont know bout a 28 but if it was my 25 id say coring got wet then froze and cracked glass

StriperMan

Reaction score
I'm surprised it took this long for your headliner to crack. I have an 06 Marlin that first cracked two years ago. The colder the winter the faster they will crack. When I launched my boat this past March for the striper season on the Chesapeake I noticed mine had cracked again. GW sent a team to repair mine and several other boats with the build dates of 05/06 when it first cracked. They claim it was a material issue that did not handle the temperature changes well. They also told me that once repaired, it should not crack again. I guess they were wrong on that issue. Mine has cracked in the head leading out into the main cabin and on the port side. My dealer has reported the damage to GW and he has told me they will repair it again. It's nice to have a company like GW stand behind the product but it really should not happen to a boat in this price range.

I would definitely contact your dealer and tell him about the damage. I'm sure GW will respond and take care of the issue. Only question is, how long will the repair last. When they repaired it the first time it looked a lot better than I thought it would look. I could barely see where they made the repair and someone who was not aware of the crack would never notice. This is not an isolated problem to just a few boats. If you have an 05/06 GW with a headliner and keep it in a moderately cold climate, it will crack with the right set of temperature variations. The winters here in Maryland are not what I would call severe and I know several owners who have experienced the same issues.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same issue..first time two years ago it was repaired under warantee..then it cracked again this year in another spot.. in and just outside the head. I just called the local repair guy yesterday. Hopefully I can get him down there in another week or two.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same problem here.... I'd give Grady service a call and skip the dealer... let Grady deal with the dealer(unless yo have a very good raport with your dealer). Grady has field teams that go out and make these repairs... they came right to my dock. The shell needs to be free floating just like vinyl siding... so while they are there they will look for "pinch points" and free them up hopefully avoiding a future cracking.